Author Topic: Controlling and commanding golems  (Read 843 times)

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Controlling and commanding golems
« on: July 03, 2020, 11:45:35 AM »
Perhaps this should be in the RM2 forum, but answers from other editions are welcome.
I'm setting up an NPC who has the RCI "Entity Mastery" list, and as such has made an iron golem. Based on the way that list is written, the maker still needs to cast Command to command or control the golem, which makes some sense.
Have others done it differently, and how complex of a command do people allow for a golem? I'm leaning towards commands a third grader or so could answer - better than a dog, but not super complex.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Ralfsi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Controlling and commanding golems
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 04:56:23 AM »
I GMd a dude who was using a golem, and usaly allowed most simple commands like follow or attack, but if he wanted to do any more complex that 2.3 word command he had to roll för it, and winged the difficulty depending on the complexity

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline vilor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 03:20:07 AM »
The Entity Mastery 'Command' line of spells functions as per 'Demon Mastery' meaning that once this is cast on a golem that golem can be given simple commands to follow - follow, attack, knock down that door, etc., outside the normal command range of the spell. Note that the same spells can be used by someone else to wrest control if you are not present.

So, you don't need to cast Command every time you want your mastered golem to do something.

My mage has a Steel golem and we run it as such: I have complete control, but use verbal commands to get it to do tasks, which can be repetitive things or simple commands. It will carry on with a task until given something else to do. Obviously it capabilities are taken into account and generally most complex tasks are outside it's ability (as it doesn't have skills dper se).

Hope that helps!

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 03:16:42 AM »
For RMU, there would be several control options, depending on how the golem was made. Also, intelligence can vary widely, so it is up to you. The standard C&T golem is described thus: "They serve only their maker, responding do simple instruction (e.g., one-liners)." If the maker has no means to create or embed some real intelligence into the golem (and these existed at least as early as the RM2 Alchemy Companion), this is what he would be stuck with. The golem should be able to understand basic commands, including their implications ("protect me" implies both stopping attackers and carrying me away if the room catches fire), but you cannot give it a sequence of actions to follow or more than one condition ("Kill anyone who enters this room without wearing a red hat" should be okay).
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.