Author Topic: Roll20 for RM, tips, tricks, and suggestions  (Read 3412 times)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Roll20 for RM, tips, tricks, and suggestions
« on: June 18, 2020, 09:59:35 PM »
Like a lot of people, I play exclusively at a tabletop and never use a VTT. Except I've made an exception for global pandemics. So, that requires learning things pretty quick. Let's get some discussion going about how people use the system, what functionality they do and don't use, advice for others. Hoping to learn things!

To kick things off, personally I'm using RMU, and have my own software for tracking combat, initiative, etc. So, using a Roll20 character sheet was not a priority but I wanted an easy way for a player to pick a character, make a roll, get prompted for the applicable numbers, and see the total. And I wanted open-ended rolls and all that. Even though I'm not using the RMSS character sheet, it has some useful CSS that can be leveraged for macros, to make different types of rolls look different, handle OE, etc. To add macros, click the button in the upper right, just to the left of the gear icon, then click the Add button.

Here are the macros I'm using:

Attacks: this just specifies the attacker and rolls an attack and critical (to save time). Be sure to check the box "show as token action" when you create the macro, that way when you click the token there will be a button for it in the upper left corner. (This applies to most of these.) You must have a token selected.

&{template:RMSSAttack} {{pcflag=true}} {{name=@{selected|token_name} }} {{subtags=Unmodified attack roll }} {{attackname1=Attack:}} {{attackroll1=[[1d100!>96cf]] }} {{fumbleroll1=Fumble: [[d100]]}} {{crit1=| Crit:}} {{critroll1=[[1d100cf=66cs=100]]}}

OE: this is a generic open-ended roll.

&{template:RMSSStdRoll} {{abilityflag=true}} {{name=@{selected|token_name}  }} {{check=Open-ended roll:}} {{checkroll=[[1d100!>96cf<5cs=100 ]] }} {{oedownroll= -[[1d100!>96[open ended down roll; subtract from previous roll] ]]}} {{highlight66= [[66 ]]}} {{highlight66roll=**Natural 66.** }}

RR: this prompts the player for their RR bonus.

&{template:RMSSStdRoll} {{saveflag=true}} {{subtags=RR bonus: ?{RR bonus|0}}} {{name=@{selected|token_name}  }} {{check=Resistance Roll:}} {{checkroll=[[1d100!>96cf<5cs=100 + ?{RR bonus|0} ]] }} {{oedownroll= -[[1d100!>96[open ended down roll; subtract from previous roll] ]]}} {{highlight66= [[66 +[[?{RR bonus|0}]] ]]}} {{highlight66roll=**Natural 66.** }}

Skill roll: this prompts the player for their skill bonus.

&{template:RMSSStdRoll} {{skillflag=true}} {{subtags=Skill bonus and modifiers: ?{Skill Bonus and modifiers|0}}} {{name=@{selected|token_name}  }} {{check=Skill check:}} {{checkroll=[[1d100!>96cf<5cs=100 + ?{Skill Bonus and modifiers|0} ]] }} {{oedownroll= -[[1d100!>96[open ended down roll; subtract from previous roll] ]]}} {{highlight66= [[66 +[[?{Skill Bonus and modifiers|0}]] ]]}} {{highlight66roll=**Natural 66.** }}

Spellcasting: this prompts the player for their SCR.

&{template:RMSSStdRoll} {{spellflag=true}} {{subtags=SCR bonus: ?{SCR bonus|0}}} {{name=@{selected|token_name}  }} {{check=Spellcasting Roll:}} {{checkroll=[[1d100!>96cf<5cs=100 + ?{SCR bonus|0} ]] }} {{oedownroll= -[[1d100!>96[open ended down roll; subtract from previous roll] ]]}} {{highlight66= [[66 +[[?{SCR bonus|0}]] ]]}} {{highlight66roll=**Natural 66.** }}

Aside from those token-related macros, I have some generic ones for GM use. These are not token actions, instead in the list of macros check the box for In Bar and they will always be available at the bottom.

GM-OE: generic open-ended roll

&{template:RMSSStdRoll} {{basicflag=true}} {{name=GM  }} {{check=Open-ended roll:}} {{checkroll=[[1d100!>96cf<5cs=100 ]] }} {{oedownroll= -[[1d100!>96[open ended down roll; subtract from previous roll] ]]}} {{highlight66= [[66 ]]}} {{highlight66roll=**Natural 66.** }}

GM-OE modified: prompts you for a bonus (e.g. skill bonus).

&{template:RMSSStdRoll} {{basicflag=true}} {{subtags=Modifiers: ?{Modifiers|0}}} {{name=GM  }} {{check=Modified Roll:}} {{checkroll=[[1d100!>96cf<5cs=100 + ?{Modifiers|0} ]] }} {{oedownroll= -[[1d100!>96[open ended down roll; subtract from previous roll] ]]}} {{highlight66= [[66 +[[?{Modifiers|0}]] ]]}} {{highlight66roll=**Natural 66.** }}

GM-d100: sometimes you don't want OE.

&{template:RMSSStdRoll} {{basicflag=true}} {{name=GM  }} {{check=Percentile (non-OE) roll:}} {{checkroll=[[1d100 ]] }} {{highlight66= [[66 ]]}} {{highlight66roll=**Natural 66.** }}

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Roll20 for RM, tips, tricks, and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 01:26:15 AM »
Lots to digest here! Thanks very much for posting this. I will work to digest it.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 05:09:54 PM »
This is what I use for a general d100OE roll

Name: d100OE

&{template:default}  {{name=Open Ended Roll}}  {{check=[[1d100!>96cf<5cs=100 +?{bonus/penalty?|0} ]]}}  {{OE Downroll= -[[1d100!>96[open ended down roll; subtract from previous roll] ]]}}

I have begged and begged on the forums for a change to the dice macros to do OE downrolls.  It never gets traction, but I will post the request again, and then post it here.  If then you all would vote it up, they may pay attention this time.

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 05:19:04 PM »
Here is the post.

https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8852087/double-open-ended-rolls/?pageforid=8852087#post-8852087

Please go and vote for it, or else it will be ignored and locked after a few days.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 09:57:37 PM »
Here is the post.

https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8852087/double-open-ended-rolls/?pageforid=8852087#post-8852087

Please go and vote for it, or else it will be ignored and locked after a few days.

I upvoted, and also put in a plug for the thread on the RMSS character sheet page (assuming those who use that sheet would also appreciate this).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 06:24:14 AM »
I use a MERP CharSheet. Rolling seems fine and you can add secondary skills to it. If you were playing RM2 it might be worth it to just use the DP system from RM and the MERP sheet.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 04:04:22 AM »
We are putting last hand on a roll20 RM2 sheet .
It willhopefully pop when you choose sheet sometime soon.
Its build over the RMSS sheet.
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 09:41:05 AM »
Nice!

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 10:42:07 AM »
Here is the post.

I upvoted, and also put in a plug for the thread on the RMSS character sheet page (assuming those who use that sheet would also appreciate this).

Thanks.  Hopefully it will get some traction.

Offline Bilo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 10:27:42 PM »
Thx Jdale very helpfull post.

what Rll20 char sheet are you using? am leaning towards the RMSS one personally
PC have the option to use the macros that come with the sheet or the macros created with the help of your post

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 01:48:36 PM »
Thx Jdale very helpfull post.

what Rll20 char sheet are you using? am leaning towards the RMSS one personally
PC have the option to use the macros that come with the sheet or the macros created with the help of your post

I used the RMSS Sheet as a base.  I just finished up the skilld, and I will check in what I have so far tonight then post a link to the GitHub here.

Offline Bilo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 04:33:26 PM »
Jdale i look forward to your post!!!!

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 08:28:39 AM »
In the sheet we made there is open ended after each skill and also in combat.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 09:34:19 AM »
Jdale i look forward to your post!!!!

Other people are doing all the work! I'm looking forward to pantsorama's post too.

With regard to the macros I listed at the top of this thread, I was using the RMSS sheet, although since the RMC/RM2 sheet is a derivative work, they might work that way too. But if we get a more complete solution, even better.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 12:34:35 PM »
Go try the RM2 sheet out, its up and we just made spell list tab too.

Offline Aspire2Hope

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rediscovering the Joys of MERP
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 02:17:19 PM »
@Jdale - thanks for the Macros they might help with some of the MERP ones as well.

Offline Bilo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 04:13:27 PM »
I want to thank everyone who are contributing and giving the rest of us the fruits of their labors :(

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2020, 04:49:09 PM »
Go try the RM2 sheet out, its up and we just made spell list tab too.

Hey Malim,  I am having trouble getting my branch to publish to the Roll20 Character Sheet GitHub.  Can you PM me the process?

Offline KeithT

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 11:32:47 AM »
So want to get back into rolemaster, I had looked at roll20, a while ago, I must admit the dice rolling was one of my issues with the system.
Are people using roll20, by itself or in connection with discord. What about the other vtts out there foundry, astral. I did join the Kickstarter for Role, now called let's role, I have been playing with that a little to see how it works.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 01:11:07 PM »
I made some comments about Astral that I don't want to repeat: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=19809.msg233682#msg233682

I'm using Roll20 for rolling, and Zoom for voice/video.