Author Topic: Played RM off and on for @ 20 years now, pic of my collection  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Bad Mojo

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I'm not a fan of digital books for RPGs, but if RM goes to print again, I'll buy at least one of everything that goes to paper.  It's my favorite RPG system bar none and I'm getting ready to introduce the wife and my kids to it. :)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Played RM off and on for @ 20 years now, pic of my collection
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:12:42 PM »
Not bad, its almost as big as my collection.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Bad Mojo

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 02:20:35 PM »
It was more about showing my dedication over time and less about size :)  I've lost some over the years, and left out my MERP and Spacemaster stuff (mostly because aside from a stack of MERP modules, I haven't found the box they are packed in yet :/ ).  Last time I did a few rounds with Rolemaster, ICE was going bankrupt and later was bailed out by investors or purchased outright?  I can't recall but I remember the sigh of relief that they would still be rolling with Rolemaster.  Looks like everything is out of print now, which is kind of heartbreaking :(  I'll certainly put my support towards new/reprint RM endeavors.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:04:41 PM »

Look, the covers are still on the books.... Completely unlike my collection ... Books here. Separated covers there ... Binder clips and tape along edges... :)
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
Yeah, that. "Slightly foxed" doesn't do the dog ears of my RM books justice. "Moderately grizzly beared", maybe...
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:59:44 PM »
'tis an impressive collection. . .and looks to be in pretty good shape.

I must admit, that a lot of my set are in rough shape. . .and you can generally tell the "best" or at least, most used of my books, by the fact I own 2-3 copies of certain titles, with copies ranging from "loose crap held together with a rubber band" to "merely dog eared". . .
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »
Exactly. RoCo1 & 2 are loose pages in ziploc bags. The copies of 1 & 2 we use are the ones in the loose leaf binders, and even they are "trained" to fall open at the most used pages.

"Moderately grizzly beared."  :o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »
Oh, the Curse of Kabis!
And the original Oriental Companion..  :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 01:50:46 AM »
Yup, I have lots more and none of them, not a single one, is in as good condition as the worse of yours  :(

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 03:38:11 AM »
Looks like everything is out of print now, which is kind of heartbreaking :(
Yes, I also prefer the printed books, especially the more robust hardcover versions, and hope to see the books in print again some time in the future.

Offline Bad Mojo

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 09:18:37 AM »
Some of them are admittedly better looking from 10' away then up close, but thanks for the compliments everyone :)  I was reading they are hoping to eventually start a "print on demand" service - Anyone had any experience with POD books?  I understand the concept of it being printed and bound once you order, may not be too bad but I don't think I've ever held one.  It would be cool to have the ability to have a print on demand option for hardcover even for books that were softcover in their original printings!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 01:37:58 PM »
Some of them are admittedly better looking from 10' away then up close, but thanks for the compliments everyone :)  I was reading they are hoping to eventually start a "print on demand" service - Anyone had any experience with POD books?  I understand the concept of it being printed and bound once you order, may not be too bad but I don't think I've ever held one.  It would be cool to have the ability to have a print on demand option for hardcover even for books that were softcover in their original printings!

As long as the master pdf is good enough for print-on-demand and the product is of a sufficient size, then yes, then it will be possible to have both softcover and hardcover versions.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Bad Mojo

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 03:56:11 PM »

As long as the master pdf is good enough for print-on-demand and the product is of a sufficient size, then yes, then it will be possible to have both softcover and hardcover versions.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

That's fantastic news!