Author Topic: ICE at Gen Con Online  (Read 3233 times)

Offline starflt

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ICE at Gen Con Online
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »
Sadly, I got busy and missed it.  Anyone willing to post a report of common questions asked/discussed?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »
Me too :( . I was really looking forward to chatting, but life intervened today.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 09:18:18 PM »
The plan is to establish a more permanent Discord channel, details TBD. For that matter, the channel is still there right now.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 10:06:15 PM »
The plan is to establish a more permanent Discord channel, details TBD. For that matter, the channel is still there right now.

Thx Jdale. At least I can see the text chat when I jump in later tonight.

I will have my report about my 2 RMU sessions up in the next couple of days. I got some good feedback from players and learned a few things too.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 12:04:09 AM »
I just read through the text. A few nuggets for those who didn't attend:

--Much talk about when RMu will be out. Editing is advancing and artwork is being commissioned, so we are not that far out. It sounded to me like 2020 is unlikely, but sometime in 2021 is likely -- possibly earlier 2021.

--The big question the developers were asking was what people's preference was for in the final version: Black and White, Standard Colour, or Premium Colour. The costs would be substantially different. I think more votes were for colour, especially when it was noted that if colour were chosen, customers could probably choose ad hoc whether they wanted the Standard or Premium version.

--Terry appeared but had some technical difficulties with Discord. He seems to be making progress on Emer IV.

--I was heartened to learn about plans for a Shadow World supplement/conversion for RMU, as well as products that would update older edition modules with RMU stats. That would be wonderful!

--Some brief discussion of the possibility of a Spacemaster Unified in the future. Authors would be needed for that, so if you have any interest, you might make that known!

There were a few other things mentioned too, but that's all I can remember right now.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2020, 11:18:28 AM »
I just read through the text. A few nuggets for those who didn't attend:

--Much talk about when RMu will be out. Editing is advancing and artwork is being commissioned, so we are not that far out. It sounded to me like 2020 is unlikely, but sometime in 2021 is likely -- possibly earlier 2021.

Yep. I've done most of Nicholas' edits to A&CL already, most of what's left is just places he wrote "needs example." There is a clarification needed on charging that Dakadin brought up, that's the only rule question. So then it can move towards layout. Nicholas has just started editing Spell Law so that's next.

--The big question the developers were asking was what people's preference was for in the final version: Black and White, Standard Colour, or Premium Colour. The costs would be substantially different. I think more votes were for colour, especially when it was noted that if colour were chosen, customers could probably choose ad hoc whether they wanted the Standard or Premium version.

The way flash printing works, if there is color content you need to pay color prices for every single page, regardless of whether that page has any color or not. So you are paying double or more. Also, the art itself is more expensive. So the trade-off here is between a fancy and impressive looking book that hopefully makes a great first impression, or an inexpensive book that makes it easy to pick up. That said, the price difference for a color vs black and white PDF would be minimal, the hope would be to pay for the color art on sales of the printed version.

--Terry appeared but had some technical difficulties with Discord. He seems to be making progress on Emer IV.

--I was heartened to learn about plans for a Shadow World supplement/conversion for RMU, as well as products that would update older edition modules with RMU stats. That would be wonderful!

Someone still has to write it though. Probably it should be someone who knows Shadow World better than I do.

--Some brief discussion of the possibility of a Spacemaster Unified in the future. Authors would be needed for that, so if you have any interest, you might make that known!

More generally, Nicholas was saying there is a lot of turnover in freelance writers and not everyone who starts a work will finish it. So, there is a distinct need for more writers. If you have interest in creating material, this would be a great time! That could include rule stuff (i.e. Companions) but also he'd really like modules.

A Director's Briefing will come out soon, but those are my takes based on the conversations I was in.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline SET69

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2020, 01:56:51 AM »
I'll believe it when I see it.  By the time it is out though, I'm blind.