Author Topic: Reawakening Cyradon  (Read 10590 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Reawakening Cyradon
« on: September 05, 2012, 03:05:48 PM »
Cyradon is on the road to reawakening. From a rules perspective, we will be making changes to the main setting book as follows:
1) the Character Creation chapter to be consistent with HARP Fantasy, enhanced Martial Law and enhanced College of Magics
2) Magic & Spells to be made consistent with the enhanced College of Magics and we expect to remove the repeated material that was imported from CoM because it's adding unnecessarily to page count.
3) Monsters chapter will be made consistent with the new monster creation system.

In terms of setting modifications to the main book, we are interested in:
1) fixing any errors or inconsistencies - I've found some already in the history - if you know of any, please post
2) adding useful chunks of information - there are various questions on this board for instance that could usefully be answered in the book - again, please feel free to post

We are considering folding some or all of the Gazetteer into the main book.

I'm also at various stages of formalising contracts for additional Cyradon products, and there will be an open call for adventures in due course.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Reawakening Cyradon
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:34:54 PM »
Some stats for the main NPCs such as Grayson would be nice
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:39:24 AM »
Reawakening Cyradon?  :o Yeah!  ;D

As great as the setting is, I think some information needs to be reworked. Many tidbits are scattered across the book, and others are repeated multiple times. I tried to reassemble the info about races using a word search across the pdf. The Gryphons are the most detailed of all, and the Gryx (G'Shul) the less (at least in the core book; there is more to them in the Gazeteer).

I am reading Shades of Darkness, and I think the structure of information is well done. The sections and subsections are easy to identify visually. The information is concise and strait to the point. The layout and the font are simple, thus making the text easy to read.

I would like to keep the same maps, and would be very happy to have more detailed maps, especially of inside Belynar.

As sunwolf mentioned, NPC stats would be great.

I would definitely see fit a section (or even a book?) for GM only (especially when it comes to that one-time mention about the Shirae agenda).

The political conflicts between the Arali deserve more details.  :)

Stats for the Cyrads.

Adventure modules!  ;D
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:53:30 PM »

Are the Cyradon modules by Allen Maher considered to be canon?
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 02:22:00 AM »
I would like to see the "Tears of Life" article from HB #10 and the "Mistwalking" article from HB #12 to be added.
In addition some further Clerical orders would be nice (also included in HB #12), but are not really important.

In addition, think there was a nice article in the Guild Companion about the other continents.

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »

Are the Cyradon modules by Allen Maher considered to be canon?

Yes, this would be very nice.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »
I would like to see the "Tears of Life" article from HB #10 and the "Mistwalking" article from HB #12 to be added.
In addition some further Clerical orders would be nice (also included in HB #12), but are not really important.

Are these (HARPer's Bazaar) available anywhere?

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
No, not anymore.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 05:43:19 AM »
I definitely like Allen's set of adventures for Cyradon. I will peruse them more closely with a view to making them canonical.

HARPer's Bazaar issues are no longer sold. The material in them was never playtested and is being superseded by the enhancements to HARP Fantasy, Martial Law, College of Magics, and Loot as well as the new Bestiary. I will look at the Cyradon nuggets and see if they can be salvaged.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 03:46:00 AM »
I am NOT talking about the rules stuff, or standard Harpers Bazaar Stuff. I'm simply talking about these 2 Cyradon articles in the Bazaars. They are worth it.

So, thanks for having a look!

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
I am NOT talking about the rules stuff, or standard Harpers Bazaar Stuff. I'm simply talking about these 2 Cyradon articles in the Bazaars. They are worth it.

Do you own the issues? If so, does the Tears of Life article have a summary of their nature? Size, shape, naturally or artificially occurring? Do they glow? Radiate magick? Radiation? Fragile or solid? Stuff like that.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 08:10:06 AM »
Yes, HB 10 covers much of those items, as well as their powers and some history.
We're working through Cyradon to identify inconsistencies and trying to determine what will be considered canon going forward.  These articles will certainly be reviewed for possible inclusion in the updated release.

Are there any other inconsistencies that have been identified? Or subject areas that require further elaboration?
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 01:06:59 PM »

Do you own the issues? If so, does the Tears of Life article have a summary of their nature? Size, shape, naturally or artificially occurring? Do they glow? Radiate magick? Radiation? Fragile or solid? Stuff like that.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it completely describes them, including showing its power and describing its history. I really hope that this will make it into the new release, as this was something missing in the original book.

Offline Charlie Four

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 08:29:48 PM »
- A clear distinction between Player section and GM section.

- All the stuff in the HB to be included in the main book, as well as the main mystery regarding the Dragon and Cyrads and Saena at least explained for GM use.

- Stats of one Cyrad, one Dragon, one Saena to have as an example.

- Every mystery(Ischea, the Tears, why the Cyrads left, etc) to have at least a superficial explanation for the GMs.

- Conflicts and details about the Elves nations, why are the Desnian so militarized before the Devastation? How can they be most powerful nation without producing goods and why do Janiel supply them weapons? Basically everything that can lead to sources of conflict is useful.

- Also, it's been a while since I took a class in geography, but it strikes me as weird to see a river flowing from one sea to another without a mountain or anything. The Camal Sea doesn't seem to be fed by rivers, which is fine because it could be subterranean rivers. The problem is that, quite the opposite of what's normal, the rivers Tanolain and Marisant flow from the sea to the ocean, which is odd. I know the Camal Sea is in a highland, but I still struggle to find a real world example of something like that(a river originating in a sea), and also the water springing from that sea should be salty. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but my basic knowledge is that all rivers flow to the sea, not from a sea.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 10:16:47 PM »
Some stats for the main NPCs such as Grayson would be nice

Most definitely! Especially Grayson amongst a few others.

There is so much potential for Cyradon and Belynar. I ran a demo that turned into a regular campaign in Belynar but that fell apart after a few months. Now I am running a campaign in pre-exodus Anias and that has been going strong for about a year now.

Will you be working on the continent of Anias anytime in the future? After the exodus would be great but having some more detail on what everything was like before the exodus would also be great. Even stuff as simple as locations of towns and cities along with what they are known for. Basic stats and such like population, imports and exports, important days (holidays and what not), and so on. Most of that would also be great for Cyradon.

When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 10:38:54 PM »

In addition, think there was a nice article in the Guild Companion about the other continents.

Any idea which issue? I will do a search and see if I can find something, anything.
Never mind, the search function for The Guild Companion does not work. I get a 404 error. So if you (or someone else can) remember the issue that would be great!

It just seems Mithra itself is barren of info. I have read through the Harper's Bazaar articles as I have some of them and the annual. They were awesome supplements and had some good background for Cyradon. Honestly I still use a lot of the stuff like the training packages and the background material.

Offline Charlie Four

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 11:56:47 PM »
Here's what I found:
Adventuring on Anias: http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2006/dec/adventuringinanias.html
Though it is post-fall of Tarahir.

I tried to collect every article HARP or Cyradon related on my bookmarks, but unless I missed some(which is possible since I did it manually by clicking every year and month), that's the only one I found.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 01:27:34 AM »
That is awesome! I started searching for stuff a while back but never went back to searching and had forgotten where I left off....
It kind of sucks that the search function is disabled but I believe it was for a good reason.

I don't bookmark important stuff like that. I usually copy, paste, and convert it to a PDF document for my own backups. I have had loads of webpages completely disappear on me with no way of retrieving the info. There have also been times when I was not able to access the internet when I needed something important for an adventure and it was only online. I do have an overabundance of bookmarks but something like this is to important not to have access to....lol. 

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »
A useful trick when there is no local search is to search on Google but specify the site e.g. by including in the search "site:guildcompanion.com". Searching for "cyradon site:guildcompanion.com" returns that Anias article and also http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2008/jan/thejudgesharp.html
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 02:09:37 AM »
A useful trick when there is no local search is to search on Google but specify the site e.g. by including in the search "site:guildcompanion.com". Searching for "cyradon site:guildcompanion.com" returns that Anias article and also http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2008/jan/thejudgesharp.html

Thanks Jdale! I didn't know you could search like that in Google....