Author Topic: Unfamiliar Weapon Usage  (Read 2560 times)

Offline jurasketu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Unfamiliar Weapon Usage
« on: November 15, 2007, 04:44:42 PM »
Segueing from Etchelion's Pole Arm discussion...

So. Is it really like Kazapp wants - weapon type and usage is what matters - not the precise weapon? In RM, we have the crazy quilt of similar weapon skill rank computations. Fun but highly annoying.

Furthermore - should a character be penalized for simply having to defend against a weapon they possibly never learned to parry? For example, I'm an Aztec warrior proficient with my spear - and along comes a marauding band of Spanish Equites. My Aztec warrior has never fought against a horseman before - shouldn't THAT be penalized for unfamiliar weapon usage?

As I've pointed out before, there is no weapon learning difficulty factor when in reality most weapons and fighting styles have very different learning curves and require significant differences in time required to master them. Do I propose adding such a difficulty factor? Goodness no.

But it would seem that if you learn a particular weapon - wouldn't you learn *all* its uses - especially if you are the master of that weapon - 20+ ranks?

I could imagine a rule like this say...

For a particular weapon, you get "credit" for knowing a particular "use" of that weapon (sort of like similar weapon rules) every say five ranks? So if you have 15 ranks in Pole Arm, you could claim to be trained in one-hand, then two-hand and some use I hadn't thought of yet.

For Kazapp's rule - you could do it like Ritual Magic and Cantrips. For each rank, you know a particular weapon "ability" (ie weapon type/use) in that weapon skill. BTW - Kazapp do you have a separate mounted version for each weapon skill?
It is better to be lucky than good, but it is *best* to be both.

When in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!