Forum > HARP

How to heal a critical?

(1/5) > >>

Deeman:
Hello everybody,

I'm looking to give HARP a try and I'm getting familiar with the rulebook to run a test game with my group.  I ran an RMFRP game for about a year so a lot of this seems familiar to me.  I'm having some difficulty with the healing of damage though.  Take this type of critical for example:

Blow breaks a bone.  15 concussion damage.  -20%.

Now in RMFRP I'd have the -20% stick with the player until they had the bone fixed.  The healing spells in HARP could seemingly heal the -20% and the concussion damage and leave a character fully fuctional walking around with a broken bone.  How should this critical be healed?

Also I'd appreciate any advice on where the pitfalls might be for a fledgling HARP GM running his first game along with suggestions as to what book, besides the rule book, do you feel adds most to HARP.

Thanks in advance.

Xamex:
Hi. Welcome to the forum.  :)

Look at the HARP book - cleric spells: Major Healing.

- Reduce a maneuver penalty by up to 50 points.
•- Reduce bleeding by up to 10 points.
•- Heal up to one half of the target?s concussion hits
•- Heal one fractured bone.

Deeman:
I didn't explain myself well.  I posted too early. 

Ok, say a fighter suffers the (Blow breaks bone.  15 concussion hits.  -20%) critical and a cleric in his party says he wants to heal him.  The cleric uses major healing for two effects to get rid of the 15 concussion hits and the -20% critical.  The broken bone (lets say a rib) could just be ignored, is it assumed its healed with the other damage being healed, or do I as the GM impose another penalty on the character to get him to tend the bone?

Right Wing Wacko:
Good question

I would let the above character be fully healed once the numerical critical results were healed (ie. the broken bone would mean nothing once the maneuver penalty and hit damage were healed- I assume the bone is healed as the penalties are) ...unless I hear something different here! ;)

Dr_Sage:
You have just touched one of HARP weak points. In my opinion the healing/critical system should be better integrated and revised at some point.

Without house ruling, I believe you would be right: a Cleric with only 4 bacic ranks in Major Healing could easly get rid of the penalties, without having to heal the bone itself.

The same thing happens with the terms "burns", "frostbite" and so on.

Personaly I demand the Cleric to scale up to heal the fractured bone AND to reduce penalties if he wants to get the job done, but its my house ruling, NOT the official ruling.

I do this to create a huge difference between the apprendice with 4 ranks in Major Healing and the experienced healer with 20 ranks.

Welcome aboard.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version