Author Topic: Library of common NPCs  (Read 891 times)

Offline Evensnalgonel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Library of common NPCs
« on: October 24, 2023, 05:57:16 AM »
Hello, do you know if there are any characteristics for common NPCs?
For example, farmers, beggars, burgomasters, craftsmen, etc.
Ditto for guard-type characters, generic opponents.
I haven't found anything in the bestiary (or I've seen it wrong), nor in the base book.

Offline RobinSteZ

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Library of common NPCs
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 02:30:34 PM »
In the base rule book in the chapter about Character Statistics there is a section about 'Stats for Layman/Normal Characters':

'When creating more mundane Non-Player Characters, the Gamemaster should use a base stat value of 40 + 2d10 to represent an average, run-of-the-mill individual.'

Is this what you were looking for?

Offline Evensnalgonel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 11:50:22 PM »
Hello,
thank you for your reply, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I4ve seen this information, as well as in Folkways, but I was looking for a "catalog" of ready-to-use NPCs.
If one of my players wants to negotiate a price with a merchant, if they want to hire a hunter to lead them to a place because they're bad at tracking, if I have to make them face a guard when they're not supposed to, or if an assassin falls on them, etc., I'm looking for a "catalog" of NPCs ready to use.
In fact, at the moment, I'm forced to create NPCs from scratch, as they don't seem to exist as generic creatures in the bestiary or base book.

Offline RobinSteZ

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 12:16:06 PM »
In chapter 10 of the book Martial Law there is a section about creating NPC's. This chapter also holds NPC stats for lvl 1, 5, 10, 15 and 20 NPC's for the professions found in the base rule book, all humans btw. I use it as a reference to determine NPC's skill bonuses.

I'm not aware of other 'ready to use' NPC's for farmers, beggars, craftsman, etc.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 04:44:58 PM »
I think because of Folkways, ICE has dropped the layperson stats entirely as the "peasant" professions are meant to be equal with the "adventuring" professions with the distinction being laypeople will spend more of their DP on lay skills. There's no reason you couldn't use both, though I personally am not a fan of different rules for PCs and NPCs. Maybe children could have the 40+2d10 stats though.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Evensnalgonel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 06:07:38 AM »
This is indeed possible.
Well, I'll have to create my NPC gallery in advance. I think it's unfortunate that a game like HARP, which has a frightening number of diverse creatures, hasn't set up a basic NPC section in the bestiary, to be customized as needed.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 04:44:10 PM »
It depends on how much information you need for the NPC at the time. Maybe you could introduce them with minimal information, as they become more important to the plot or the characters, you can add more.
#LotorAllura2024