Author Topic: Music  (Read 979 times)

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Music
« on: June 24, 2022, 03:48:33 PM »
What music do you use for your games to give them a mood?

What music do your players suggest?

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 04:11:23 PM »
I tried it a few times and it just gets lost and it becomes annoying.  Another thing to compete over to be heard or no one even paid attention to it.  YouTube had a few good gaming session play lists.  I made my own CDs (this was before MP3 was a thing) and that was one more thing for the GM to worry about.  I did try my own theme music for my PC, that got old, fast. :( 

* - Biko - Peter Gabriel
* - a couple of songs by Enya from various CDs, mostly the first CD
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 05:48:18 PM »
We also find it more distracting than helpful. I have occasionally picked out sound effects for special moments, which 95% of the time I forget to use. ;)
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 06:36:54 PM »
Roll 20 has a jukebox that has a rather limited selection, but can be fun for battle music.

Spotify has a ridiculous number of RPG playlists -- there are even extended ones for some specific modules (a great one for Princes of the Apocalypse, for example).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 09:46:41 PM »
Conan The Barbarian and 13th Warrior movie soundtracks.

Antti Marikainen
https://anttimartikainen.com/

Two Steps From Hell
https://www.twostepsfromhell.com/
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 12:03:07 AM »
Depends on whether I want a particular atmosphere or not.

Plenty of soundtracks to choose from, really. I used a number of OSTs from movies (Conan, 300, Braveheart, Gladiator, the Last of the Mohicans, the Alien trilogy, the Lord of the Rings trilogy...) and video games (Elder Scrolls, Age of Conan, the complete LotRO soundtrack, the Witcher, the Mass Effect trilogy, WH40K Dawn of War 2...). I also have specific playlists (tavern music, for instance). And a few artists that just bring the mood (Enya, Capercallie, Loreena McKennit, but also things like Corsican Chants and Mongol Throat Singing).

It can be easier for modern games, really - you just set the soundtrack to fit the neighbourhood the characters are in - jazz, rap, blues, country, indus, punk, metal, pop, classical music... just set the music and your players know they have entered a particular ward. It's cheap and stereotyped, but in games, it works.

Sometimes I just take a very long soundtrack and let it fly for hours on end. Sometimes I fiddle with the background music often. And sometimes I don't have music at all. But in any case, it is always low volume enough that everyone can talk in a normal voice.

What I still need is to gather sound bites (sounds of marketplace, for instance).

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 03:07:24 AM »
I rarely use music, though I have in the past, for specific location/settings...  folky instrumental and bardic stuff for taverns and downtime... usually just borrowed from playlists of you-tube.

There is a lot of symphonic metal bands that do especially apt soundtrack backing music... Nighwish, Witihin Temptation, Avantasia etc... good for battle and session intro music.... (and versions are even available sans vocals) but as others have said, it's often just a distraction DURING play.... it's better just to have atmospheric sound effects...

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 07:55:58 AM »
We also find it more distracting than helpful. I have occasionally picked out sound effects for special moments, which 95% of the time I forget to use. ;)

.... sigh.  Done that too. lol
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 09:47:41 AM »
I just never saw the point. I'd use it on rare occasions for modern games, but only in non-combat situations and even then very rarely. I have audio of an underground radio station operated during the Vietnam War I used for a MACV/SOG-based game, but that's the only time I specifically remember any kind of soundtrack being helpful (and even then it was only used for R&R sequences or once when the players were in the team hooch).
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 02:59:44 AM »
For ambient sound:

• http://www.ambient-mixer.com/

https://tabletopaudio.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/RPGAmbientSounds

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDed9jQ1Y1gKeyjvkyFGkCA

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheGuildofAmbience

And Spotify Music playlists.

Offline The Chorned Jat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 08:32:45 AM »
Iron Maiden's first 3 or 4 albums?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 10:27:13 AM »

I actually was lucky enough to see them on tour years ago (Mastodon opened) when they played only stuff from their first four albums. It was awesome!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 01:11:55 PM »

I actually was lucky enough to see them on tour years ago (Mastodon opened) when they played only stuff from their first four albums. It was awesome!

Saw that one as well, I think (although it might have been a different opening act). Along with the tour when Dream Theater opened. I'm really hoping they do what Bruce was quoted as thinking about....do a smaller venue tour and play the new album straight through.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 09:10:29 AM »

Saw that one as well, I think (although it might have been a different opening act). Along with the tour when Dream Theater opened. I'm really hoping they do what Bruce was quoted as thinking about....do a smaller venue tour and play the new album straight through.

Yeah, the one I saw was this one (in Toronto):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Rips_Up_the_World_Tour

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 02:05:57 PM »
We saw them in 2010 (The Final Frontier tour) and 2012 (the Maiden England tour). Dream Theater was the opener in 2010, and Coheed and Cambria in 2012. That and I'd seen them way back when in 1983.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2022, 07:23:40 PM »
First concert i ever went to was the Powerslave tour :;