Forum > Rolemaster

Character development: A more complete fantasy experience

<< < (3/3)

EltonJ:
Someone has been reading more Tolkien-esque books.

Starting them out as farmer boys and girls maybe a good idea.  And starting them out with the farmer profession maybe smart and that's what you want to do.  However, that isn't what Rolemaster was designed for.  In RM, professions are "hard wired."  Also, in Roleplaying games in general, everyone who is playing is playing a protagonist.

The GM plays the other roles.  And take it from me, you don't want to play multiple Guardians.

Onirim:
Thank for your answers and advices :)

pantsorama:
Take a peek at this thread:

https://ironcrown.co.uk/ICEforums/index.php?topic=19445.msg240457

Using a Traveller-esque character generation tool will allow you to have more control over skills a 1st level character may have, and still give the players agency in making their characters,

Downside is it might be a lot of work.

intothatdarkness:
I put together my own list of "basic training" skills for professions I allowed in my world, and it worked pretty well. It accounted for maybe half of a character's average DPs and made sure they had the basics (Body Development, Perception) while still leaving room for their own spin on a character. I also had cultural skills they got free of charge based on their origin (I use an origin table for my setting). By the time it was said and done a first level character might actually be the skill equivalent of second level, but they were usually non-combat skills that proved useful in play and that players (especially new ones) might not think of for their first character (it's always amazed me how many newcomers overlook Perception, for example).

Interesting that the Farmer was mentioned. I played one once...except he took a Josie Wales turn and ended up developing Frenzy and specializing in Pole Arms to get vengeance for his family who were killed by rogue knights. The skills weren't cheap to develop, but he was a fun character to play and ended up being pretty useful any time the party needed to deal with animals or deal with peasants.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version