Forum > RMC/RM2

Maximum Number of Spell Lists

(1/4) > >>

Elrich Maltah:
I've seen some previous discussions here that talked about the maximum number of spells a caster could learn in a level, typically based on the number of DPs available for pick rolls. However, I've never found any mention here or in the books about the maximum number of spell lists a caster can learn spells from over the course of a career. My GM uses the following guidelines:

Pure Spell Users: Level + 3 lists
Hybrid/Archmage Spell Users: Level + 2 lists
Semi-Spell Users: Level + 1 lists
Non-Spell Users: Level + 0 lists

This seems reasonable, bearing in mind that casters who keep up to the limit will likely lack many high-level spells in a given list because DPs aren't infinite, but I'm curious if it's a completely homebrew idea or if it's based on a published rule somewhere.

Hurin:
Sounds like a homebrew rule to me. I've never limited the number of lists casters could learn, and never had any problems with that.

Vladimir:

--- Quote from: Elrich Maltah on June 18, 2022, 03:24:53 PM ---This seems reasonable, bearing in mind that casters who keep up to the limit will likely lack many high-level spells in a given list because DPs aren't infinite, but I'm curious if it's a completely homebrew idea or if it's based on a published rule somewhere.

--- End quote ---
  DPs aren't infinite...that's a significant limitation right there.

EltonJ:

--- Quote from: Hurin on June 18, 2022, 03:41:03 PM ---Sounds like a homebrew rule to me. I've never limited the number of lists casters could learn, and never had any problems with that.

--- End quote ---

I agree, it must be homebrewed.

Spectre771:
I believe there is a restriction of two spell lists per level (RM2), but no maximum to the total number of spell lists to learn.  Purchase 20 ranks in the first spell list for guaranteed success, then up to 19 ranks in a 2nd list each level, but that method makes for worse than a glass cannon... maybe a wet-paper cannon?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version