Author Topic: tell me more about Cyradon  (Read 14752 times)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: tell me more about Cyradon
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 11:27:37 AM »
I found this old thread and thought i'd bump it up.

What can Cyradon be compared to? Surely there's something out there with a similar pantheon, world view, political agenda, etc.

I am not too sure that there is....

Now a lot of things were inspired by real life things. For example, the Skaldi are inspired by the Vikings of history, the Orsai are inspired by nomadic desert cultures that have flourished in the mid-east for centuries. Belynar itself was inspired by the historical city of Petra and other similar sources.

The Janieal and Desnian Elves are inspired by Athens and Sparta respectively, but with a bit of monarchic twist to them.

But the end result resembling other settings... Of that I am not too sure...

Offline asdohol

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 05:22:37 AM »
The group I'm in started a Harp game in the gm's world last year. Loved the flexibility of my thief. But the game ended up crashed due to some peoples unavailability.  Now a new group means we play again yaaah.

So we are now playing in Gryphon world just after the refugees arrived.  I've read through Cyradon and just love the possibilities in the city and surrounding areas.  Our gm has of course decide to use the three chapters already written (been told already not to go reading them until after)

The first session ended up with three chars in a broken cellar/pit with the monk up top saying "have fun getting out" then he sat down on the ground and waited for us to climb out even though he had rope that would have helped.
Bretheren of the Hidden Dice Order Member

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 05:32:50 AM »
Well, those oriental types have always had a very weird way to teach their wisdom to other people ... just remember Mr. Miyagi and all those other eastern movies.
But you can be sure that you will become the hero of the story if you have a teacher like this. ... although, there is this flaw for teachers that he really is a fraud teaching you a flawed combat style ... but that's another story and has nothing to do with HARP.
Anyway, stop rambling now, sounds like a good game and a lot of fun. Haven't played the three chapters yet but as I am the GM (and as this probably won't change in the near future) have read them and really like them. Enjoy!
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Hybban

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 01:48:54 PM »
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I've been a (french) rolemaster player for a few years and since the release of HARP i've always wanted to know more about it. I just arrived in the States and a friend show me the books, and I wanted them :)

I've downloaded the 'lite' book and found it quite impressive for a free download. So I bought all the PDF books (core, cyradon, magics, monsters, martial and loot) and I bought (to begin) the core, the magics and Cyradon as softcovers.

I must admit that I live the Cyradon setting. I'll make a game with only my girlfriend as a player (she rolled an insanely powerful character with 55 DP on the first set of roll :) ). The only sad thing is that there was nothing else out for this setting. I'd love a great campaign to uncover all the secrets of the world (because, I don't have time to write it by myself, I admit  ::) )

I saw that I should take teh Cyradon gazetter #1, but I'd prefer buy another book !

Keep up with the good work!

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2007, 10:18:17 AM »
Go to Downloads from the sidebar menus. It will take you to:

You will find 3 great adventures written for Cyradon by Allen Maher.
They are called - Arrival Chapter 1, 2 and 3.

There has also been released a pdf called Cyradon Gazzetteer

Enjoy them all until the next official product comes out...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:41:43 AM by Thom @ ICE, Reason: Dead link removed »
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Hybban

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2007, 12:44:11 PM »
I've already downloaded them :)
I've also bought the cyradon gazetteer yesterday for the secrets revealed in it.

And as I'm probably mad, I've purchased the 2 3-pdf packages of rolemaster (last version I think)
But I only give the money for HARP supplement!!!!

;D

Hyb'

Offline bunny

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 10:10:42 PM »
I know this was asked over a year ago, nonetheless, if you're still curious here's my two cents.

I have been running a campaign in the Cyradon setting for around a year. The focus of the campaign has been on exploration and learning their way in the new world. They begun as lowly aides to a variety of factions and are gradually moving their way up the various hierarchies of guilds/churches/army/etcetera

In my opinion it is the best game world I have found in 27 years of RPGing. It meshes extremely well with the rules with lots of training packages, clerical/deity information and well thought out and tied together background information. There are places for raw beginners to explore and easy ways to keep the story interesting without destroying the overarching "big picture" mysteries and plotlines. There is enough similar to "standard" roleplaying settings to make it easy to visualise/interact and yet there are a lot of differences too - I am particularly taken with the politically scheming elven nations, not something I have traditionally associated with elven culture.

The main disadvantage of the world in my view is that ICE is small and that support material is slow in being released (only one specific supplement so far, with a few tidbits in the harpers bazaars). Essentially, the core book is good enough that you dont need any supplements - there is enough there to enable you to flesh out the details according to your tastes. Nonetheless, I enjoy purchasing a new world supplement every few months to stimulate my imagination, spur interest in the world, etcetera. That stimulus is lacking in Cyradon's case - there is an excellent starting point with no further work currently available (or very little anyhow).

As I mentioned, the political intrigues of the elven nations is something I will be developing as I find the setting provides enormous scope in this regard. With other, larger companies I could wait for the Janiel supplement, and the Desnian supplement and so on before fleshing these areas out. In ICE's case - such a supplement may arrive next year, or maybe never. Obviously this isnt a terrible blow - I'll just do it my way. However, it will disappoint me if I detail that side of the continent and then in march next year find out that a "guide to the elves of cyradon" is about to be published - it will make me think I should have done something else in the interim as given past experience, I am sure any supplement ICE produces will have heaps of stuff I'm going to want to use.

A bit of a ramble. Overall I'd recommend it over any other setting I've tried - the main drawback being if (like me) you are a compulsive hoarder of all things related to your chosen setting, you are going to be starved of regular stimuli. I cant imagine anyone being disappointed in it though - even if they dont go on to use it. There are lots of interesting ideas and stealable stuff. Also, it is complete and usable "as is" the lack of supplements is not a major drawback in itself.

Offline Andraax

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 08:46:08 PM »
This is my first post here. I've been a (french) rolemaster player for a few years and since the release of HARP i've always wanted to know more about it. I just arrived in the States and a friend show me the books, and I wanted them :)

Hi Franck!

Hybban

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 07:03:48 AM »

Hi Franck!

Hi Andraax :)