Forum > HARP Software

AutoHARP 2.0

(1/5) > >>

DavidKlecker:
Yep! That's right. A new release, and this is a major one. Lots of new stuff here, but probably not everything on people's wish list. This was supposed to be 1.0.7 (actually more like 1.7 since I haven't been using the release numbers right) however as I was working I just wanted to do something "more" to the interfaces, especially with Combat Tracker. Combat Tracker got a huge overhaul. Whole new main screen and now Vehicle Combat has been included. The database received a large revision as well in attempt to simplify database editing. AutoHARP got many new changes, included a whole new print screen that now matches the book. There is a lot new here. Some screenshots from SourceForge

I'm always open to new ideas, new concepts, enhancements. I'm obviously available for questions and issues you are running into. Write them here or email me at perfecthundred@gmail.com.

If you haven't been using AutoHARP for your Harp gaming, now is the time to check it out. This has been 6 months in the making. This is why it took so long to get a release out. There are video tutorials coming as well. They have been recorded and shot. I just need to edit them and publish them to YouTube.

So now... I take a break.

Bruce:
Looks interesting! I am almost inclined to get it and try it out for my group, but there are a few things holding me back.
I have created my own PDF sheet (that is not perfect) and I designed the character sheets to better fit game play, at least for my group. I have some extra skills I added and a completely new skill called Chi Balance. I am not sure if you could find a way to implement ones own character sheet but that would be awesome. 

I have also created my own initiative system as long ago I outgrew the tired round based system. I use what I call an action point system that was inspired by the old CEATS system from one of the RM companions. I used the CEATS system in RM to great success and I think now my AP system has gained leading ground over a round based system in my current group.

There are  a few other tweaks (like a RM/HARP style combat system) that I have done to my character sheets and it would be awesome if I could implement them into your autoHARP. Would it be difficult for someone to take your program and add/change things to suit their needs with a little programming knowledge? What language does your program use? I programmed my PDF with the PDF version of Javascript, it would be great if it was something that was similar so I didn't have to go through the process of learning a whole new language..... But that would all depend on your permission to do such a thing.

Bruce

DavidKlecker:
Adding skills to the database is very easy. In fact creating new races, professions, cultures, talents, statistics, spells, training packages, monsters, etc... it is all quite simple to do with AutoHARP.

Now the init system in the combat tracker is hard coded and it definitely isn't ceats. It's straight out of the book. Creating an action/turn based system could certainly be possible but that would have to be coded. Interesting idea for an enhancement. I don't think I would outright program ceats, but it would be very easy for me to associate a table to the actions that already exist.

AutoHARP uses wxWidgets and C++. It doesn't have anything where a person could input a PHP or Javascript program that could be used to implement a new combat system. That is another interesting idea, however that will be a complex task. Not sure how I would do it. It would require some thought. The action/turn initiative is far easier to write.

Bruce:
The Combat system I developed is more of a separate program than something to include in a character generator. OTH the AP (Action Point) system I developed would be something that should be included in a character generator. The only thing that needs to be added to the character sheet are the base AP initiative numbers. In my initiative system you roll a regular D10 for init but that D10 is open-ended, meaning if you roll a 10 you roll again, etc. Then you add your normal init numbers and your character level to get your total initiative. That number is cross referenced with your chosen action on my action point chart to find your actual action number. As time goes on you add your action numbers together to find when your next action takes place. In my system 100 AP's is equivalent to one turn in HARP.
So far my AP system has created some really interesting combat scenarios that would have been very mundane in a normal turn based system. The most common scenario is the casting of area effect spells and other characters moving into an area to attack. It is really surprising the number of times the cleric in our group has cast acid ball only to have it strike the creature at the same exact time another PC enters the area of effect...lol. I think this happened like 4 times before the party started realizing they need to have better planning and coordination in their attacks.

Charlie Four:
I've been trying out the demo and I have a few questions:

- Why does the character appears with less than 100 DPs on 1st level? The standard rules gives you that, however I found that for both Human Fighter or Elf Mage the DPs varied, the former had around 73 DPs and the latter 63 or so. Maybe I did something wrong?

- Do I have to input the bonus from Talents manually? For example for skill specialization or enhanced senses, I would have to go to the skill and assign it manually, don't I?

- I've read on the Help file that you can change skill progression(an important feature since I house rule it), how hard is it to do so?

- Which version is the one available on RPGNow right now?

Oh, and the random monster generator made the whole thing crash, maybe because it's a demo?

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version