Forum > Rolemaster Software

Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software

(1/81) > >>

Merkir:
Rolemaster Combat Minion

For those wanting a simple & fast way to manage combat encounters, "Minion" is a free web app to help GMs process and track combat encounters and stats/health/wounds. It streamlines the entire combat process, including initiative, combat calculations, attack and critical tables. It can be used on any desktop PC or tablet with a normal web browser.

Features include:
  - your own database of PCs, NPCs and monsters (create/edit/clone)
  - initiative sequence fully automated
  - attack results calculated by the software with full table lookups
  - all wounds applied, tracked and saved by the software
  - encounter log showing the entire sequence of combat actions
  - save & restore your database of PCs/NPCs/monsters
  - create and install custom attack and critical tables
  - compatible with all current versions of rolemaster
  - Free web app includes 6 combat tables:
    Broadsword, Short Bow, Shock Bolt attack tables, and Slash, Puncture, Electricity crit tables

Demo videos:
  1. Combat and Initiative - www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M7WjRS9MDM
  2. Character Maintenance - www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQlg8_7LJI0

Minimum device specifications:
  - HTML5 capable web browser
  - Minimum 1024x768 px screen resolution

Software Limitations / TODO:
It is recommended that you thoroughly evaluate the free web app before purchasing the full table data. Current limitations of the software (as of the date of this post) are:
  - any fumble result must be entered by the GM rather than the software looking up the result
  - and large creature critical must be entered by the GM rather than the software looking up the result
Software development is ongoing, to improve the functionality of the web app.

Development history:
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=13646

Discussion, Bug Reports & Feature Requests:
Please use this forum for further discussion, bug reports, feature requests, and anything else related to Minion.

How to use Rolemaster Combat Minion

Start by using the free web app here:
      www.web.com.au/rolemaster/minion

Then purchase the Full ICE Table data here*:
      http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php? keywords=rolemaster%20combat%20minion   (available 4-Feb-2014)

* The author of the web app receives no commission or royalties from the purchase of ICE table data.

mpgriggs:
I've been looking forward to this release, and purchased the tables this evening. Could you explain how the program will function when I access it from different computers? For example, suppose I set everything up on my desktop and use it for a game at home. Then, suppose I go to a friend's house for a game and use his computer to access the Minion website. Will I still have access to the tables and such?

Merkir:

--- Quote from: mpgriggs on February 04, 2014, 02:27:31 PM ---I've been looking forward to this release, and purchased the tables this evening. Could you explain how the program will function when I access it from different computers? For example, suppose I set everything up on my desktop and use it for a game at home. Then, suppose I go to a friend's house for a game and use his computer to access the Minion website. Will I still have access to the tables and such?

--- End quote ---

There are two aspects to this question, a) how to transfer your own database of PCs/NPCs/Monsters onto your friend's computer, and b) the purchased ICE full table data.

For a), simply use the Backup/Restore function from the Options menu. Backup your database of characters onto a USB drive (or email it to your friend) and when you get to your friend's house, use the Restore function from his Minion to import your character data file into his version of Minion. And remember, each PC/device has its own unique database of characters. You can use the Backup/Restore function to transfer character databases between different PCs/devices.

For b), your friend will need to purchase a Minion license to be able to use the full ICE table data on his own computer/devices. It's meant to work similarly to an iPad/iPhone app, for example, which is non-transferable between devices. Also please note we log user details and IP number each time a licence key is used to install the ICE full table data.

Ideally, I highly recommend using a portable device. I use a laptop to run our campaign - completely portable and more user friendly at any games table. Tablets are also good of course, but I like the full keyboard of a laptop.

mpgriggs:
Thanks for the quick reply. On another note, can you explain further how I can use the app offline?

8. Can I use this Web App offline?   During the playtesting period, you will need to be online when you load the App or refresh your browser. Once playtesting is over, the App will only need to be downloaded once. From then on, it will load from the internet if you are online, or from cache (wep app manifest) if you are offline.

Merkir:
Thanks for the question, and the reminder of what I put in the FAQ.

I'll enable the appcache manifest on the weekend, which will allow the app to be used entirely offline. I'll post here when complete. In the meantime note that you only need internet access on initial page/app load. Thereafter if you don't close your browser, it will work without internet. Cheers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version