Author Topic: Life keeping, death and restoration  (Read 1002 times)

Offline tommysl

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Life keeping, death and restoration
« on: March 22, 2011, 03:25:12 PM »
Hiya all,

I'm in the situation where a player has died and been dead for a few minutes, so I'm wondering how this should be handled. The players obviously want to do anything in their power to bring him back. They will bring likely bring this character to a healing order where they have a good standing.

So stat deterioration as been in effect for a few minutes now but one of the characters has lifekeeping, In harp this spell prevents the soul departure but that's it. Being and old rolemaster player I've been searching for the preservation but can't find it so I'm inclined to rule that HARP's lifekeeping is actually both a lifekeeping and preservation spell. Further the players will likely try to find means to restore the stats. I'm aware of the restoration spell which they have access to... but does it restore stat loss due to soul departure? This question is actually also for RM. The RMFRP rulebook states that certain spells can restore stat loss due to death but I can't find any spell that does just that anywhere. Can anybody enlighten me ? :)

Thanks

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Life keeping, death and restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »
If they can put a Lifekeeping spell on the target, then I would happily say that it includes preservation as that is in the spirit of the spell. I'll note that for the tweaking of HARP Fantasy.

Restoration does not officially cover stat loss from stuff other than spells or Undead drain, but either it could be generously interpreted to do so or we could imagine a new scaling option to handle other problems (at 1x to 2x base spell, so 3  to 6 PP of scaling).

In RMSS, it was probably meant to be Heal Life Essence spells. Would need to look further.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline tommysl

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Life keeping, death and restoration
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 05:07:04 PM »
Thank you for you answer. A scaling option would be a nice addition. I've been looking at the RM cleric list called "Life Mastery" and I can find two spells that sounded appropriate but neither does the job:

Heal Life Essence I — The target of this spell is any being who
has suffered some amount of soul damage. The target will be
healed of d10 points of lost temporary Constitution. See
RMFRP Section 24.0 (p. 75) for more information on soul
damage.

Restoration — The target of this spell is any being that has
had his mental capabilities hindered (e.g., from the Mind
Erosion spell list). The target of this spell will recover lost
experience. However, recovery is not always complete. The
amount of experience that is not recovered is 1% for each day
that the target suffered from the condition. For example, if a
target lost 10,000 experience points and it took him 20 days
to find a Cleric with this spell, he would only recover 8,000 of
the lost experience points.

Heal life essence True (further down the list) bolsters the amount of con points healed.