Author Topic: TP Spell Lists: Which Realm? Open/Closed/Base?  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
TP Spell Lists: Which Realm? Open/Closed/Base?
« on: November 12, 2010, 01:32:14 PM »
Are the Training Package Spell Lists found in a few supplements considered Own Realm, Other Realm, or Arcane?  Are they considered an Open, Closed, or Base list?

Thoughts?  Opinions?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: TP Spell Lists: Which Realm? Open/Closed/Base?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 01:52:44 PM »
Are the Training Package Spell Lists found in a few supplements considered Own Realm, Other Realm, or Arcane?  Are they considered an Open, Closed, or Base list?

Thoughts?  Opinions?

TP spell lists are considered of the realm from which the TP is in the book. IE The Beastmaster spell list is in the Menatlsim Comp so it is a Mentalism spell list. In the MC there is also a DP chart for learning spell lists outside your realm which add some more categories for DP costs to the PC sheet.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 01:54:43 PM »
Thanks Mark.  That makes sense.  What about lists like "Abomination Mastery" and "Entity Control"?  They come from a TP, but are in the Construct Companion (of all places).  Likewise Castles & Ruins has some TP lists.

On a related note: in what realm are Hybrid Spell Users' Base Lists considered to belong?

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:30:59 PM »
I personally treat all TP lists as Own Realm. The costs listed in Ess. Comp. and Ment. Comp. for Training Package don't seem to be higher for out-of-realm casters anyway. I assume that the lists were developed to be adaptable to each realm. Then I use the Other Realm TP List cost if you don't have an appropriate associated Training Package. If you want to bother with assigning Realms to them, check p. 17 of the Construct Companion for Realm assignments for use of the lists as additional Base Lists. This can also be used as a guide to assigning Realms to them as Training Package lists.

Hybrid Base Lists are hybrid. Sorcerer Base Lists are Channeling/Essence.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 03:58:13 PM »
Do you consider them Open, Closed, or Base lists?  I'm inclined towards Closed, since they conceivably require a Training Package, and at the very least are provided by a Training Package.  Thoughts?

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 05:30:02 PM »
Training Package List is a new category. They are not Open, Closed, or Base lists. They are Training Package lists. (Not all lists provided by a training package are Training Package lists, a Training Package can also offer Open, Closed, and/or Base Lists.) They are between Closed and Base lists, since they require specialized training to learn at a reasonable cost, but do not define a full Profession, only a more limited specialization.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 06:42:54 PM »
I always allow them to be either Open or Base lists, if the Profession has base lists and has the option to choose additional Base spell lists... or simply Open if they don't.

The realm used is subject to some speculation, while it makes sense to use the realm of the supplement is found in.. for simplicity I'll allow it to be the same as the caster.

Offline wilcoxon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 12:12:38 AM »
Using the book it is found in is not always a good guide.  Castles & Ruins has TP lists of different realms and "general".  At least one of the spell companions (Mentalism I think) notes that all TP lists can be learned as "Own Realm TP Lists" by anyone regardless of realm.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 09:25:46 AM »
Using the book it is found in is not always a good guide.  Castles & Ruins has TP lists of different realms and "general".  At least one of the spell companions (Mentalism I think) notes that all TP lists can be learned as "Own Realm TP Lists" by anyone regardless of realm.

Yes that is a problem but I think the latest of the 3 books wins out on rules and IIRC that would be the MC.

MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.