Author Topic: Genre Settings  (Read 9799 times)

Offline ninja

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Dust, Death and a D100
Re: Genre Settings
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 01:43:41 AM »
I voted yes because I really like the concept of getting a set of core rules streamlined towards a specific genre/setting, having them explore the possibilities of the setting's own prerequisites.

I would love to see the new Unified Rolemaster used for setting books in the following genres:
Old American West
Gothic/Lovecraftian/Pulp Horror
Post-Apocalypse
Sengoku Japan

Offline Skynet

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 02:18:22 PM »
The poll is closed, so I cannot vote, but I would have chosen "Yes". This is something I really liked with RM2. As an example, even if I don't intend to run a musketeer campaign, At Rapier's Point can provide me with ideas, character templates and black powder firearms rules for my own campaign world.

Offline Nortti

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 02:22:31 AM »
I have made my game world and have been adding to it for over 20 years now so I don't really make a good customer for such books. I might buy a setting just to support RM if contents would be really good and the artwork would really impress me and make me feel something.

But still I think those products are important for Rolemaster as a game. A lot of people use those ready-made settings and they are what characterizes the whole game to a lot of players.

I think RM needs a more personal approach in these supplements that would make players interested. Stories of legendary heroes that accomplished it against all odds and disappeared, maiden whose beauty brought tears to the eyes of people, misunderstood hero that sacrificed his life for the others but got only contempt, romance, desperation, betrayal. Whatever emotions people need to feel RM should be the channel. If a setting cannot do it then its empty to me.   

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 10:58:14 AM »
Genre books with materials and maybe a sample setting (if there's need to fluff), a list of sources and resources is another good add.
The existing genre books provide enough guidelines that you can run nearly anything right now. It would be nice to see some updates to the RMs genre books, maybe revise them so they can use any of the rule sets.

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Carclub where I belong. Some cool information from finnish pimped Renaults...includes also international forums
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 05:10:13 AM »
Definitely I would buy. RPG industry is missing Steampunkish setting. There are some, but rules are not widely known. Rolemaster would be very nice system to steampunk.

Maybe some medieval, historical setting too.
When you have it, you don't respect it. When you lose it, you will miss it.
-Love-

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 05:46:41 PM »
I really think a game company should approach Cherie Priest about putting a setting book out based on her Steampunk novels.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 06:37:49 PM »
I really think a game company should approach Cherie Priest about putting a setting book out based on her Steampunk novels.
I'm sure it won't be long until someone does ask her. From what I've read there's a movie in the works for "Boneshaker" but that's old news and may not come to fruition as these things tend to do.
Whichever game company jumps on the "Boneshaker" IP wagon will certainly be spring boarded to popularity, there is a fair sized fan base out there for steampunk.

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 11:49:24 PM »
I voted maybe, and even then I would use it only as a reference.
I have a few reasons why I wouldn't use a 'direct from box' setting, but the main one being my own arrogance. I vehemently believe I could do better, at least from mine and my players point of view.
We use a lot of house rules, defined power levels, battered 2E books and a quarter of a century RM experience and stories to draw from.
Also, for me at least, a large part of GM craft and the enjoyment of running games, comes from the creative process, whether that be creating the game world, setting or modified rule-set, or manufacturing adventures, NPCs or items.
So, where does the 'maybe' come in? Ideas. Not s much for a setting, but just ideas of how others have created their worlds and how they have pulled everything together.

However, as a disclaimer, there may be times when a 'direct from box' setting could be useful, especially for new gamers or those pressed for time.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 09:00:46 AM »
However, as a disclaimer, there may be times when a 'direct from box' setting could be useful, especially for new gamers or those pressed for time.

Keep in mind the new gamer in particular. I think it's especially important to remember them, and the fact that RM tends to require a bit more from GMs (especially given some of the looser skill descriptions and the like in RMU). The easier we can make the transition, the more likely people are to try the system and stick with it.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Vagabond138

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »
I think that Genre settings can be instrumental in getting RMU off the ground. I started playing Rolemaster in 1989. I had been playing other systems prior to that; AD&D, Star Frontiers, BattleTech and one of the most challenging aspects of Rolemaster for a GM is its flexibility! To date, I have NEVER been a player in a Rolemaster campaign, tournament, solo adventure/quest... Not once. I was the guy with the books, time and desire to put together and GM all of the sessions. This was mainly due to the fact that everyone loved to play, but no one wanted to deal with the rules. As some players got more comfortable with the system, they would say things like, "I'd GM a module or something if you had one"... Make no bones about it, after I broke Rolemaster onto the scene, ALL and I mean EVERY one of my former AD&D gamer friends shelved that system. Everyone was instantly addicted to Rolemaster's flexibility... BUT, alas... No takers for GM. I don't see genre settings as a "limiting" element. They are "enhancements". Beginner and novice GM's get some much needed structure and boundaries... Advanced GM's who need to do their own thing all the time can snatch elements out of them and use them when they need something "on the fly"...

Offline Skynet

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 08:27:36 AM »
Also, I would prefer genre books as opposed to historic settings like RM2. You know, all the standard fare : horror, steampunk, planetary romance (Barsoom-like), etc. Even the fantasy sub-genres would be great (sword & sorcery, high fantasy, etc.). Original settings like Dark Space would also be great. Something wild and unique, to demonstrate the flexibility of Rolemaster. And because we've had it with the same old same old fantasy settings.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Also, I would prefer genre books as opposed to historic settings like RM2. You know, all the standard fare : horror, steampunk, planetary romance (Barsoom-like), etc. Even the fantasy sub-genres would be great (sword & sorcery, high fantasy, etc.). Original settings like Dark Space would also be great. Something wild and unique, to demonstrate the flexibility of Rolemaster. And because we've had it with the same old same old fantasy settings.

IMO you need both "genre" and historic/modern settings. If you really want to show RM's flexibility, that's the best way to do it. Show that the core system can handle any setting, any time period, and any style of game (all the way from high fantasy to gritty, no-magic espionage).
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 11:04:13 AM »
Too late to vote...

But the answer would depend upon "Genre", "Cost" and "Conformity"

If it was a purely historical genre book, like Outlaw, At Rapiers Point, Run out the Guns, Black Ops, Pulp... and the like then the answer would be yes.

Cost?... well that would determine whether I would pick and choose and just go for the "must haves" or the lot to complete the collection.

Conformity. This is the biggie. I'd like the books to adhere to a core-rulebook that allows a genuine portability between genres and not muck around with games mechanics... or at least not do so after a core rulebook has establishes a character creation system that can copes with any genre.

I've seen some excellent genre books before, those produced for GURPS are prime examples of what I'd find appealing.

Basically what intothatdarkness said...;)

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 01:17:16 PM »
Too late to vote...

If it was a purely historical genre book, like Outlaw, At Rapiers Point, Run out the Guns, Black Ops, Pulp... and the like then the answer would be yes.

Cost?... well that would determine whether I would pick and choose and just go for the "must haves" or the lot to complete the collection.

Conformity. This is the biggie. I'd like the books to adhere to a core-rulebook that allows a genuine portability between genres and not muck around with games mechanics... or at least not do so after a core rulebook has establishes a character creation system that can copes with any genre.

I've seen some excellent genre books before, those produced for GURPS are prime examples of what I'd find appealing.

Having done some of these conversions for RM before, I think there would be a handful of changes to the core rules, but mostly in the combat systems. Character creation is pretty portable (some of the skills may shift, and background does need to be expanded for some genres, but that's all easy to adjust and doesn't shift core much at all), and I've never had an issue with that. Combat usually has to change, but that's always been in time scale and through the creation of some new attack tables for different weapon types.

The basics for RM (stats, skills, DPs, and so on) are actually pretty flexible. Professions are easy enough to create for new genres, so again that's not an issue. I can see that side of RM being compatible no matter what genre you're looking at. The skill check system is also very flexible and easy to adapt to any setting. Even combat doesn't require major changes on the whole.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
Too late to vote...

Having done some of these conversions for RM before, I think there would be a handful of changes to the core rules, but mostly in the combat systems. Character creation is pretty portable (some of the skills may shift, and background does need to be expanded for some genres, but that's all easy to adjust and doesn't shift core much at all), and I've never had an issue with that. Combat usually has to change, but that's always been in time scale and through the creation of some new attack tables for different weapon types.

The basics for RM (stats, skills, DPs, and so on) are actually pretty flexible. Professions are easy enough to create for new genres, so again that's not an issue. I can see that side of RM being compatible no matter what genre you're looking at. The skill check system is also very flexible and easy to adapt to any setting. Even combat doesn't require major changes on the whole.

My point here that nearly all the previous supplements have "covered old ground".

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Carclub where I belong. Some cool information from finnish pimped Renaults...includes also international forums
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »
I don't know if ICE staff have time and resources, but I highly recommend Steam Punk setting. It is relatively rare nowadays. There are some, but competition on that area is relatively small.

Sometime ago I bought Victoriana RPG 2nd edition books and I did play couple of gaming sessions. Setting was quite ok, but rules were not something that we were looking for (my gaming group didn't like it at all). Invention rules in Vicrotiana RPG are the best that I have ever seen. Very flexible and easy to use.
When you have it, you don't respect it. When you lose it, you will miss it.
-Love-

Offline Nortti

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 04:33:53 AM »
If there would be new genre settings I think the human-interest factor would be most important for the new RM. People need something that they can get attached to in the characters. Several succesful competing products come to mind. That and good art is what would sell it.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2013, 08:05:57 AM »
  I can say (maybe say again as I did not read all of the above posts) that I have had no trouble adapting RMSS to anything it has skill flexibility and skill add-ability, professions that are generic and yet unique and core rules that let you adapt to almost any style of RPGing.
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 03:14:31 PM »
If there would be new genre settings I think the human-interest factor would be most important for the new RM. People need something that they can get attached to in the characters. Several succesful competing products come to mind. That and good art is what would sell it.
(Emphasis, mine.)

I have been saying that for years now - and, sorry, but most of the new art in HARP is not to my liking. I know they are probably very expensive, but Brom, the guys who did much of the art for the D&D 3E Monster Manual, and the classic AD&D artist Willingham would go a long way to making the products awesome. Also, the guy(s) who did the maps for the older Shadow World products like The Cloudlords of Tanara, especially if you keep the high-fantasy look from those days, I much prefer to get away from the "middle-ages, only with magic & monsters" look that has crept into modern fantasy. (And by "crept", I mean taken over almost completely.)

Of course, for genre settings, the art should compliment the genre. For example: A genre setting of Ancient Greece should have art that is reminiscent of the art of ancient Greece.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »
I have been saying that for years now - and, sorry, but most of the new art in HARP is not to my liking. I know they are probably very expensive, but Brom, the guys who did much of the art for the D&D 3E Monster Manual, and the classic AD&D artist Willingham would go a long way to making the products awesome. Also, the guy(s) who did the maps for the older Shadow World products like The Cloudlords of Tanara, especially if you keep the high-fantasy look from those days, I much prefer to get away from the "middle-ages, only with magic & monsters" look that has crept into modern fantasy. (And by "crept", I mean taken over almost completely.)

That's funny, I would say what has gotten pervasive is the looks of anime, computer games, and Warhammer. Which is to say grossly oversized weapons and shoulder pads, monsters with hunch-backed posture, and women with no pants. I like a realistic look myself but find it rare.

Of course, for genre settings, the art should compliment the genre. For example: A genre setting of Ancient Greece should have art that is reminiscent of the art of ancient Greece.

Well, I agree 100% with that.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster