Author Topic: One roll resolution for RM  (Read 902 times)

Offline Giovanni81

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
One roll resolution for RM
« on: May 19, 2022, 10:16:08 PM »
Hello,
in the past I played a bit RMX and RMFRP (with ERA).
Now I play HARP but I would like in the future to give to RM another look.

I would like to transfer One roll resolution of HARP to RM.
This way:

Result: OE roll + OB - DB +/- Modifiers
* hundreds and tens of the result determine the concussion hits subcontracted. (i.e if you scored 76 you subtract 7, if you scored 110 you subtract 11 )
* units of the result determine the type of critical. (1,2 - A   3,4 - B   5,6 - C  7,8 - D  9,0 - E)
* you use the result to directly extract the critical.

Could it work?
Any thought about it?
Note: DB from Armor could be taken directly from HARP manual.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: One roll resolution for RM
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 10:36:20 AM »
I don't see any reason why you couldn't simply use HARP's attack mechanics in RM. You might need to look at how RM handles size though.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Giovanni81

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 02:12:38 PM »
Yes: the entire combat subsystem (one roll resolution, tables and combat maneuvers) can be taken from HARP. It's the best choice: simpler and more tested.

The magic subsystem and the character creation subsystem cold be leaved as they are: I slightly prefer the Rolemaster Spell Law to the HARP modifiable spells.

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 07:33:22 PM »
As a gamer in a game design club, the issue of simplification of complex games resulted in constant discussion. Usually the discussion was between realism vs simplicity. My answer is always the core of gaming: Quantification.

What is quantification? The expression or measurement of the quantity of something.
Every RPG is a quantification of PCs, NPCs, situations and monsters.
As a wargamer, the games existed because combat unit capabilities are estimated and quantified for gameplay. We can refight the Battle of Waterloo because we have an accurate idea of the units involved and contemporary impressions of their quality to give them other than a rating in combat of "Average" in some cases.
  Avalon Hill, a maker of wargames since the 1950s used a simplified chart (Combat Results Table or CRT) in almost all of its games.

From the CRT, which also has another table to calculate numbers before hand calculators hit the market, you could roll the results of a battle between units using 1d6. Simple and clean.

When bored, my fellow gamers made a fast and simple game of Russian Roulette: roll 1d6, on a 1 you blow a hole in your skull...and lose. It didn't have the pressure of using an actual pistol (I was a VERY bored teen) but was an example of simple game design.

Want to speed up a game? Quantify the known elements and make a chart to determine possible outcomes. I say "Flip a coin if you want a simple determination." Pass/Fail is as simple as you can have. Battle of Waterloo? Flip a coin. Balrog vs Gandalf? Flip a coin. Frodo vs the Ring? Flip a coin. Easy.

Conan vs Horde: Conan can take 10 hits before dying. Flip coin. Heads: 1 (Insert enemy here) dies; Tails: Conan takes 1 injury; Simple.

In a GHQ wargame, all the units had a point value, every tank, jeep and platoon of soldiers could be bought with allotted points.
In a particularly dull afternoon, the GM says, "How about a pick-up game?" 
Gary: "No way, Vlad always beats us."
Me: "How about I let you use German units with double the points?"   
Background: Gary and Mark are nicknamed "The Laurel and Hardy of microarmor" in our club...for good reason -They never coordinate, even though they have a better than average grasp of unit capabilities. Me: 82nd Airborne, sergeant; Ed: 5th Infantry division, sergeant...
Gary: "Sure!"
Ed: (Looking at me...) "You are so evil."
After action: The tabletop is 4x8 feet with a small village in the center, where roads intersect. Ed takes the Infantry and artillery assets, deploys the artillery and speeds up the road into the village on Turn one.
  Turn 2: German units cautiously enter the opposite end of the table at cross-country speed, mostly infantry in halftracks and towed artillery. Me: Tank destroyers and tank hunter infantry teams speed up the road to deploy among a line of hills overlooking a secondary road into the village. Ed deploys his infantry in the village and take up positions in the buildings.
  Turn 3: Gary enters the board with a company of Jagdpanthers, lined up on the road my tank destroyers happen to be covering. Two of the lead vehicles, Panthers, speed into the village...
  Turn 4: The two Panthers in the village are attacked by infantry, one is destroyed immediately by a bazooka and the other crippled. My TDs open fire and destroy half of the Jagdpanthers on the road. Bazooka fire from TH teams erupt from positions near the column and Gary turns to face the TDs in the hills. Ed spots Mark's halftracks from the village and calls artillery strikes. Mark's commander dies, Gary's commander was in the lead Panther... The German SS infantry retreat off the table, with heavy losses.
Americans lost 2 men.
  Flip a coin.

When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu

Offline Giovanni81

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 08:40:31 PM »
The things that make Rolemaster really unique are the critical tables.
And they are mantained in HARP.
But the attack tables.....they slow down everything, they offer only a more realistic exchange....when you change something in a game there is always a trade-off: you loose something and gain something else.
I prefer to barter the realism offered by the attack tables with the speed increase offered by the HARP system....but of course it's entirely a matter of taste.  :)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 08:51:07 PM »
Maybe this thread was for you then: https://ironcrown.co.uk/ICEforums/index.php?topic=20198.0

I'd be interested in input.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Giovanni81

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 01:00:12 AM »
I responded to your thread: I like your proposal.
You are a line editor: please insert this kind of alternatives in RMU, as options of course.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 11:28:44 PM »
i use the super fast combat system from RMC3. No combat tables. Hit on a 75+. roll dmg based on weapon and minus defenders AT from dmg. Crits happen on 1/10 of your OB. So if ur OB is 100, you crit on a 91+.
crits happen less often but the damage dealt is higher than the crit tables.
switched to this system to speed up combats. we use roll20 so weapon macros help here.
What im finding is combats are actually longer due to less crits delivered.
im not ready to switch back to tables yet but i would consider increasing the chance of crits in combat - maybe 1/5 of your OB or 1% chance per skill rank.

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 02:51:50 PM »
i use the super fast combat system from RMC3. No combat tables. Hit on a 75+. roll dmg based on weapon and minus defenders AT from dmg. Crits happen on 1/10 of your OB. So if ur OB is 100, you crit on a 91+.
crits happen less often but the damage dealt is higher than the crit tables.
switched to this system to speed up combats. we use roll20 so weapon macros help here.
What im finding is combats are actually longer due to less crits delivered.
im not ready to switch back to tables yet but i would consider increasing the chance of crits in combat - maybe 1/5 of your OB or 1% chance per skill rank.

We also use the super fast combat system but have had the exact opposite result. Our combats are significantly faster than with the charts. The only thing we did that makes the combats go even faster was adjust the damage from the weapons such that they essentially do close to average damage but the max remained the same (ie Broadswords do 10d6 rather than 5d12). We have incorporated as many d6 replacements for larger dice to make the numbers as close as possible. This significantly reduces the wild swing that some weapons have so that a broadsword hit is unlikely to do 7 damage. Under out model the Broadsword does pretty close to 35 with some instances of less or greater. Since we are using Roll20 it was an easy fix. We did not find it necessary to change the cries on 10% as the crits through swingy, can be super deadly. On Friday we ended up with a guy with a 10 point bleeding wound. Needless to say, he is working on his new character as none of us could stop that kinda bleeding.