Author Topic: Good Starting Level  (Read 9374 times)

Offline Pit Ote

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Good Starting Level
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2007, 11:20:18 AM »
hehehe, really I'm not merciful towards my players. I like the players feel vulnerable and make up for their lacks with imagination. That is why I prefer uneven parties, not only with levels but with stats, magic objects,... And RM is the perfect game to do it because there are so many variables that the player doesn't need to have a high level to feel important, he can be good in stats, skills, magic, weapons,... I think level in RM is important but it's not determining.

(Edit: It's not determining in a general sense . If you have four level 50 characters and a level 1 joins the group, there will be great differences, of course. The thought behind this is that the players form part of a heterogeneous group and characters should look beyond the numbers and point out the best (or the worst  ;)) of themselves).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:17:45 PM by Pit Ote »
.....unbalanced ......overpowered ......chaotic ......

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2007, 12:03:04 PM »
Yes, RMX is basically a sub-set of the RMC rules (but still a complete game in its own right).

RMX has a few options in place to make the game run smoother and make low level characters more survivable overall, and those options/changes are fully detailed near the end of the RMX book so that you know what the differences are.

Are they obviously adaptable to full RMC? Will they feature as RMC options in some future RMC product?

For myself, I'm mulling trying to get my group to play RMC and I'd be all for the idea of an RMC option that make early play survivable without having to start above first level.

Offline Maldroth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2007, 10:19:34 AM »
Yeah RMX gives some additional hits and power points at starting level. It does help. If you have the players go for it, you can't go wrong by paying $5 for the pdf.

I tried to get a RM group going but only got two people and they dropped after the first game. RM is a really tough sale around my area.

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2007, 12:23:18 PM »
I'm trying to pick up the $20 3-pak, give each of my players a copy of the rules so they can familiarize themselves before we even begin. It's cheap, helps ICE, and they get excited with a book and _hopefully_ will at least skim some of the rules and chargen stuff, and next session we get together, we're ready to jam.

-shnar

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2007, 03:15:18 AM »
I'm trying to pick up the $20 3-pak, give each of my players a copy of the rules so they can familiarize themselves before we even begin. It's cheap, helps ICE, and they get excited with a book and _hopefully_ will at least skim some of the rules and chargen stuff, and next session we get together, we're ready to jam.

-shnar

That's probably a good idea. Run them through a few examples of how OBs and DBs work in combat invoving melee, missile and Dir Spells too if you have the time and you're good to go.

Incidentally, Does anyone know if there's a problem with Ironcrown's printer and/or customer service? I bought some books before the summer and so far no books and no customer service reply.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2007, 04:14:16 AM »
According to the most recent news letters everything should be in order now and everything is being shipped as fast as it comes off the printer.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2007, 11:18:05 AM »
I finally saw some copies at my local gaming store. Didn't pick them up yet because I want a 3-pak and they didn't have any 3-pak bundles and the sales guy there didn't know if he could sell it as a 3pak and was going to get back with me.

Anyways, the point is they're at the retail stores now, so you probably should have gotten yours. Email Bruce and I'm sure he'll get it fixed up right away.

-shnar

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2007, 06:23:39 PM »
The 3-pack and 6-pack are, as far as I know, only available on the ICE website.

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2007, 12:38:54 AM »
Aw, that sucks. Is the same true about other bundles, i.e. RMC bundle (all 3 books)?

-shnar