Author Topic: "Enlarge" spell question  (Read 1575 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
"Enlarge" spell question
« on: August 31, 2023, 02:15:46 PM »
So the spell enlarges the character and increases size and mass but not strength. So what does it do exactly other than make them bigger? Seems kind of useless for a 10th level spell.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: "Enlarge" spell question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 02:53:34 PM »
I had this question a while back. Check out this thread: https://ironcrown.co.uk/ICEforums/index.php?topic=20786.msg241753#msg241753
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 05:11:59 PM »
Thanks, I think I may just make the person have all the stat and crit mods of a humanoid of equivalent size (for instance a 6 foot tall human increased by 70% would be as tall as Hill Troll, so give them all the equivalent stats of a hill troll). That makes sense to me, I mean it's a 10th level spell and all that happens is that you can carry more? That seems kind of useless.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 12:08:01 PM »
In that thread I posted, I didn't see anything about what I ended up doing in my own campaign. So for what it's worth, I ended up making a fairly significant change to the spell effect:
Size changes spells rely on the existing rules for giantism in Creatures and Treasures, affecting movement, OB, and DB. I decided that changing +/-30% does not modify any bonuses (really, no significant "size change"), +/-40-60% is a single size class change (+/-20'/rnd, +/-20 OB, and -/+10 DB), and +/-70-100% is two size class changes (+/-40'/rnd, +/-40 OB, and -/+20 DB). I also incorporated a rule from another system that says gear changes with the target, but if it leaves contact with their person, it immediately reverts to normal size.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.