Author Topic: Multiple Criticals vs Large Creature  (Read 773 times)

Offline Samzagas

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Multiple Criticals vs Large Creature
« on: June 16, 2023, 10:21:35 AM »
Hello everybody,

As the name implies I had a situation regarding criticals. A character in my game uses a magical weapon that has a secondary elemental critical that follows the original hit at -1 severities. A.k.a if the hit deals a C crit, the secondary elemental hit deals a B crit.
However the party faced their first monster that uses the Large critical table and I was left wondering what the rules say about that. I could't find anything about it in the Character Law nor in the Creatures and Treasures and ruled that he'd roll twice in the Magic column of the critical table.
Therefore I ask:
Is there an official rule for this case?
What ruling have you tried and found useful for this case?

Thanks in advance for reading my post.
Samzagas

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Multiple Criticals vs Large Creature
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 12:14:11 PM »
Barring someone finding an answer in the books, I think you could go two ways.
1 - Roll one critical roll with the weapon. If it's above an A crit (necessary to access the Large crit table) then apply that Large crit from the weapon crit table. Then apply the 1-degree lower elemental critical from Spell Law (or other tables, if you're using something else for elemental crits.)
2 - Roll one critical roll with the weapon. If it's above an A crit (necessary to access the Large crit table) then apply that Large crit from the weapon crit table. Then, if the 1-degree lower crit is above an A crit, it qualifies to deliver a Large spell crit on the Spell Law tables (table 15.8.5).

I know there's something about dual crits using the same roll, but I don't have that handy so I'll leave that part to someone else.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 12:28:11 PM »
2 - Roll one critical roll with the weapon. If it's above an A crit (necessary to access the Large crit table) then apply that Large crit from the weapon crit table. Then, if the 1-degree lower crit is above an A crit, it qualifies to deliver a Large spell crit on the Spell Law tables (table 15.8.5).

That's how I'd do it. If you gety a C plus a B elemental, then you get a Large Magic Weapon crit and a Large Spell crit.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 12:32:52 PM »

That's how I'd do it. If you gety a C plus a B elemental, then you get a Large Magic Weapon crit and a Large Spell crit.
Same here. Any crit above 'A' is rolled on the relevant Large critical table (resp. weapon and spell). So if the attack gets a 'A' crit, you get nothing, if it gets a 'B' crit, you only get the weapon Large crit, and if it gets a 'C' crit or above, you get both the weapon large crit and the spell large crit (normal column unless the element is 'of slaying' to the target).

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 01:32:19 PM »
Note that anything using the Large table negates criticals of 'A' severity, so that you would need a 'C' main crit before the secondary critical would actually do anything.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Samzagas

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 02:59:33 PM »
Thanks for the answers, I'll try the suggestions and see what works best for my party.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 06:44:03 AM »
All of the above is accurate (Super Large ignores A and B crits, keep that in the back of your mind too) and the item description should also specify "...additional crit, same roll..."  or "...additional crit, separate roll..." 

If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 08:24:13 AM »
All of the above is accurate (Super Large ignores A and B crits, keep that in the back of your mind too) and the item description should also specify "...additional crit, same roll..."  or "...additional crit, separate roll..."
"is that a difference between RM2 and RMSS ? In RMSS, Super-large ignores A, B and C crits.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2023, 09:40:35 AM »
In RM2, Super Large ignores A, B, and C.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2023, 07:57:04 PM »
Arms Companion also had an optional resolution for large and super large criticals. You would still ignore the same critical levels ('A' for large and 'A'-'C' for super large), but the remaining levels could be given a +/- adjustment. This is because "an 'E' critical on a Troll should affect it more than a 'B'" (per section 4.1).