Author Topic: Stun Relief - RMC vs "old school" Rolemaster  (Read 2839 times)

Offline phydaux42

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Stun Relief - RMC vs "old school" Rolemaster
« on: June 18, 2011, 06:34:56 PM »
I was flipping through my pdfs, and I noticed that instant spells are handeled much differently than I remember, in particular Stun Relief.

As I recall back in the day when someone got a "stunned" result on the crit tables, Stun Relief would automatically fire off.  The character could then act as normal, that is to say he could attack.  He just couldn't cast a spell since he had already cast one that turn.

Now it seems that RMC uses a percent action system, and casting an "instant" spell takes 75% of your action.  That doesn't seem very instant.  In fact, according to the Actions table in Arms Law about the only thing you can do with only 25% of your action remaining is stand up from a chair.

So the question becomes "What good is Stun Relief?"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Stun Relief - RMC vs "old school" Rolemaster
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 07:01:46 PM »
IMO it's still better than being stunned. . .

Also, if you want instants more instant, use the faster instants options 5.1 or 5.2 on page 30.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 07:59:33 PM »
It may be better than being stun no parry, but not stunned.  While stunned you can parry with half your ob after -50 penalty.  If your GM uses the x3sd to offset that penalty, even better, and you can STILL parry, which you cannot do after casting stun relief.

The answer is to make instant spells only require 10% activity.  If subconcious it does not require an action.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 08:42:34 PM »
Depends. . .Stun Relief V "wasting" a round is better than being stunned (or SNP) for 5. . .long stun relief can be cast on another, so you "waste" your round but unstun someone else to act.

That said, I too tend to use the 5.2 "Quick Instant Spells" at 10%.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 12:18:03 AM »
 As a house rule you can make some spells more instant than others. Or you can have the spells on specific spell lists being able to cast faster than others on other spell lists.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 03:14:33 AM »
Well, at the very least, if you cast the stun relief, attacks against you won't get the +20 for being against a stunned opponent.

As to taking -50 before half-parrying, there is nothing indicating you take a -50 penalty. Just half your OB.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 05:44:44 AM »
I was flipping through my pdfs, and I noticed that instant spells are handeled much differently than I remember, in particular Stun Relief.

The actual rules are often very different from what folks remember. For example, I would feel safe in guessing that you didn't use the core RM2 tactical system (i.e the Phases) - http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item578 - which is actually where the  75% activity for an "Instantaneous" spell originally came from.

In fact, many people didn't realize that when the original authors used the word "Instantaneous" in regards to spells, they weren't actually talking about how long it took to cast them, but referring to the fact that none of those spells EVER required preparation rounds, and thus could ALWAYS be cast instantaneously (i.e. right away)

As I recall back in the day when someone got a "stunned" result on the crit tables, Stun Relief would automatically fire off.  The character could then act as normal, that is to say he could attack.  He just couldn't cast a spell since he had already cast one that turn.

More than likely, your group used house rules, and quite possibly used its own tactical system rather than the one from the core books (many people, myself included, did this).

As others have suggested, there is always Option 5.2 on page 30 which basically reduces the total activity of an Instantaneous spell to 10%...

Now it seems that RMC uses a percent action system, and casting an "instant" spell takes 75% of your action.  That doesn't seem very instant.  In fact, according to the Actions table in Arms Law about the only thing you can do with only 25% of your action remaining is stand up from a chair.

Reread page 30 of the RMC Spell Law. Casting the Instantaneous spells only takes 10% activity, the other 65% activity being a recovery period from the instantaneous casting. So yes, while it takes 75% in total, the Instantaneous spell goes off first (since it is considered a Short Action).

So the question becomes "What good is Stun Relief?"

Stun Relief isn't in there so that you can get rid of the stun and attack in the same round. That was never its purpose. Its purpose was to get rid of the stun, period. Being stunned makes you easier to hit and hurt. Having the stun go away, even if you cannot attack in the same round, is VERY beneficial.

Additionally, Stun Relief is (in almost, if not all cases) a subconscious spell. Which means that so long as you are the same level or higher, and have the PP available, the spell will go off automatically, without you having to worry about too much (i.e. it only fails on an 01-02).

Offline phydaux42

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »
We used Magic - Missle - Movement - Melee because that is what was in our books..  We didn't go to Fire Phase A & Fire Phase B until space Master came out.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 01:49:48 PM »
Based on the original rules without any house rules or options, as said above, "instants" just means you can cast it in one round with no prep rounds, regardless of level. . .Options later in the books made instants take 50% or later 10% action to cast.

Those options were included in RMC as 5.1 and 5.2.

You were using an optional rule all along, just so long you likely forgot it was an option, not the core rule. That came up for us a lot when we were editing/re-writing out the RMC project. . .we'd say "Hell, that's the core rule?" We'd been using option X or Y for so long we'd forgotten what the core rule was. . .

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 07:16:57 AM »
You were using an optional rule all along, just so long you likely forgot it was an option, not the core rule. That came up for us a lot when we were editing/re-writing out the RMC project. . .we'd say "Hell, that's the core rule?" We'd been using option X or Y for so long we'd forgotten what the core rule was. . .
I just bought the RMC core pdfs because I can't find the first 34 pages of my RM1 Character and Campaign Law. It is amazing reading through this for the first time in ages just what we've been doing "wrong". I'll be having some interesting discussion with the group next weekend :)
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist