Author Topic: Unique Races  (Read 565 times)

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Unique Races
« on: April 12, 2022, 05:16:15 PM »
Did you come up with any unique races to your World System? RMC and RMFRP both have different approaches.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Unique Races
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 03:12:29 PM »
Yes, I did, scores of them, some about which I wrote only a couple of chapters and some about which I filled pages. That being said, it'd more correct to say that I created scores of races for which I detailed some cultures, as a race obviously encompasses many cultures spread over several countries that may differ greatly the ones from the others, not to mention the natural evolution over time, so that reducing a race to one unique culture (e.g., "the XXX race is prone to world-conquest and its members are proud and arrogant") is nothing but unrealistic (at least for "natural" races, as it may make sense for "magical" races).
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 03:22:45 PM »
In my current setting, I tweaked the typical races, but I did add sprites (small but elflike, with natural ability to change coloration for camouflage) and naiads (aquatic, waterbreathing). No one is playing either of them, though.

I think OLF has an important point about culture vs race. Especially in settings with many, many races it is easy to simplify each one down to a particular culture, but it's not great worldbuilding. Making race into cultural destiny makes it very easy to collapse every race into stereotypes rather than creating space for individuality. I am gradually getting better about that but could do more.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 09:37:14 PM »
  The GMs of my gaming group would discuss world design and the creation of races was a favorite topic.

Life forms, especially sapient races, are generally created through three basic methods:

1) Divine creation -A powerful being conjures a race out of nothing, such as most of the races of Middle Earth.
2) Evolution -Races endure a long process of development and environmental adaptation.
3) Engineering -Using magic or science, one or more races are modified to become another, unique form. The Orcs of Middle Earth were engineered from Elves. 

Whatever criteria used to create a unique race, either biologically or mechanically, leads to what makes that race sapient and from there, technological. Races without appendages like thumb or other prehensile limbs for tool use may have difficulty advancing on the technological scale. Races limited to only water may never get to use fire and derive the many technologies associated with fire, such as metallurgy and ceramics.

Most importantly, not all races have human motivations and thought patterns. Elves and Orcs may be humanoid but their thought processes and basic motivations are entirely different. Orcs have short lives and look for immediate gratification; Elves are immortal so are long term planners, and live as if they have all the time in the world for projects. While humanoid races are similar, what about insectoid and reptilian races? One of my GMs, who has designed hundreds of unique races for his own world, designed an insect race that used psionic-based telepathy for their primary communication as they had no speech. Among their own race they could use clicks, scents and gestures and could link thoughts but communication with other races was always problematic as most races considered telepathy as intrusive and suspect. Playing an Eigarian (they settled in an area called Eigar) was fun as I pretty much did all the things that made them hated by other races -I messed with peoples' minds. I made enemies attack their own party, or made them believe that they were in a lovely dream world...or in complete agony.

You could design totally random races but I prefer making a complete history on how a race evolved or developed over time.

When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu