Author Topic: Question about Summons  (Read 910 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Question about Summons
« on: March 22, 2022, 02:01:46 PM »
The spell states that Summons in the Gate mastery list is random, however, there are not enough creatures in C&T for this to work, especially at low levels. So instead I was looking (for an NPC) at what possible non-intelligent creatures they could summon, I came across a jadeback, which is a 2nd level giant beetle (and kind of nasty for 2nd level). So obviously if he specifies "6 legged large insect at 2nd level" there is really only one creature that fits into this category in C&T, so in effect he is summoning a specific creature. Is this allowed or does it have to be random? I was thinking that one possible modification to that spell would be that in addition to being able to increase the level, duration doubled, or extra 1st level, there should also be "can specify creature", so a Summons III could summon a specific 2nd level creature. Otherwise it seems all you can summon are things like dogs, horses, cats etc, and nothing more interesting like monsters because these canimals would not normally attack an armoured combatant and probably just run away.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Question about Summons
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 02:31:08 PM »
The way I usually manage this is with the C&T level variability tables. The summoner may get a 2nd level (young?) version of a 5th level creature, with stats adjusted according to the front of the book. It takes a minute to scale, but after a couple of times you get faster. But it opens up a much broader pool of creatures. It does not, however, address the frustration of having to figure out what actually answers a summons for a "four legged beige carnivore"!
And as for the summoned creatures wanting to run away, the caster controls them, so they will attack if the caster tells them to.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 02:38:37 PM »
[Edit: just got ninja-ed by Jengada, who says much the same thing that I was going to say, but I am keeping my post in case some of it is useful.]

I would not assume that all summons are intended for combat. Often you might summon a creature for scouting, for example. Or a kitty if you get lonely.

But you are right that there aren't always appropriately levelled creatures, and that is a problem. However, remember that creatures have levels (even C+T has rules for them), so one thing you could do is have the character summon another creature of similar type and then up-level or down-level it. I would also feel free to create or even just ballpark stats for an appropriate creature of the designated type.

You could thus have anything from a Jadeback to a giant ant, bee, cricket, or flea.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 03:53:21 PM »
...Or a kitty if you get lonely. ..

There are days when even the most stalwart adventurer needs a kitty to hold. This is where the party spell-caster really earns their keep. On a really bad day, summon one for each party member - no need to share.

(A quick expansion on the level-adjustment: I remember someone suggesting boosting 0-level creatures to avoid the issue of "how many 0-level things an I summon with Summon V?")
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 08:48:49 PM »
[Edit: just got ninja-ed by Jengada, who says much the same thing that I was going to say, but I am keeping my post in case some of it is useful.]

I would not assume that all summons are intended for combat. Often you might summon a creature for scouting, for example. Or a kitty if you get lonely.

But you are right that there aren't always appropriately levelled creatures, and that is a problem. However, remember that creatures have levels (even C+T has rules for them), so one thing you could do is have the character summon another creature of similar type and then up-level or down-level it. I would also feel free to create or even just ballpark stats for an appropriate creature of the designated type.

You could thus have anything from a Jadeback to a giant ant, bee, cricket, or flea.

Only problem is that there are no giant ants, bees or crickets in C&T :(

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 09:10:34 PM »

Only problem is that there are no giant ants, bees or crickets in C&T :(
But there are rules for giantism at the end of Creatures, just before Treasures.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 12:24:29 AM »

But there are rules for giantism at the end of Creatures, just before Treasures.

Yes, that was what I was thinking of. That and the more regular rules RMU has for simply adding levels to creatures via archetypes.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 12:35:50 AM »
Summon a giant kitten, toss string on foe, and let nature take its course.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 01:07:38 AM »
So obviously if he specifies "6 legged large insect at 2nd level"...
It'd be fun if one summons an insect that doesn't have six legs... an infirm insect?

Summon a giant kitten...
I'd say that tigers and warcats are too high levelled creatures to be summoned at low levels! :p
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.