Author Topic: How long is combat round?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline mtpnj

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How long is combat round?
« on: November 08, 2019, 08:03:29 PM »
We have always played a combat round is 10secs.  We have been questioning that since 1 character has recently gotten the golden slumbers spell.  Instantaneous cleric spell of 8th level.  Magic sleep is 1 minute which translates to 6 rounds.  Far longer than the 2 rounds in the essence spell sleep and the 1 round from the mentalist spell list.
Given that it says 1 minute instead of rounds we are wondering in RMSS how long a round is?  seems out of proportion.

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How long is combat round?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 04:25:46 AM »
in RMFRP a round is 10 seconds (p38 of the core)

Also that the Golden Slumber spell is a different type of sleep spell from the Sleep N ones, as it only effects one target and is not limited by level. I'd see this as reflecting the different sources of power between Essence, Mentalism and Channeling.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 12:37:36 AM »
Correct.

Different realms of power show of their strengths when RR Failures count rounds/minutes of effects by its denominator of 5 or 10, etc.
Others by sheer targets that have been affected.

in RMFRP a round is 10 seconds (p38 of the core)

Also that the Golden Slumber spell is a different type of sleep spell from the Sleep N ones, as it only effects one target and is not limited by level. I'd see this as reflecting the different sources of power between Essence, Mentalism and Channeling.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 07:28:37 AM »
We've played our combat rounds as 6 seconds each.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline mtpnj

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »
Thanks.   Was not sure if we were missing something.  the mentalist sleep spell is only second level with no level limit but only magical for 1 round.   Was kinda wondering why channeling was so much longer.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 11:31:42 AM »
How long is the combat round?  Ever since 1983, I have used the double-phase 5 second round.  Each phase is actually a round in itself.  Basically, in my 5 second round, you get two activity phases.  For me, the 10 second round was much too long.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 02:10:35 PM »
For me, the 10 second round was much too long.

Yes, it was for many groups, including mine.

The 10-second core RM round though pales in comparison to the original DnD round, which was 1 minute long.

I'm glad both DnD and RM have reduced the length of the round (DnD to 6 seconds, RMU to 5 seconds). Much better.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle