Author Topic: Load of Climatology Stuff  (Read 2183 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Load of Climatology Stuff
« on: March 09, 2018, 07:57:58 AM »
Posting this here since can be used in any flavor RM.

Here is a collection of junk (or good stuff) I have finally gotten around to collecting.

Although all of it is Copyrighted (also by UNM), I am releasing it under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.  To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/.

The file is kind of large due to containing map images, some of them quite large (some with 2000+ pixels dimensions).  The file is 52.5Mb (55,046,575 bytes) in size.  The "read1st.txt" file lists the files included in the ZIP archive with a brief description.

Dropbox link.

Enjoy, or curse.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Load of Climatology Stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »
Arakish, this is great stuff - I've just begin poking at it but I think it's a good gaming summary for people who want to dig into climo. As a research meteorologist I always have to check my enthusiasm for over-analyzing the atmospheric stuff. But for those who want some basic realism to their world climate, this is great.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 07:16:25 PM »
Very  8)  Thanks for sharing!

Nightblade ->--

Offline international1

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 09:26:06 AM »
I am looking for a good Middle Earth weather generator.  I can't use what I have seen out there.  I am using the old materials for my campaign and there are numerous tables in those books regarding weather, but I am trying to find something automated.  So far I have only found generic weather generators which don't work easily with Middle Earth plus the few online studys on Middle Earth weather don't help when running a campaign.  Is anyone aware of someone who might have a xls that uses Middle Earth data?

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 06:27:23 PM »
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 03:05:21 PM »
Oh.  Sorry.  Inadvertently deleted it.

Dropbox link.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 04:10:50 PM »
I have now uploaded this stuff to the Vault.  You will have to wait for approval.

rmfr

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 08:32:01 PM »
We can try this?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvSZnal-KHWVsykn-uZCnPHlHSIG 13.2 MB (13,873,152 bytes)

rmfr

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 08:54:18 PM »
Arakish, this is great stuff - I've just begin poking at it but I think it's a good gaming summary for people who want to dig into climo. As a research meteorologist I always have to check my enthusiasm for over-analyzing the atmospheric stuff. But for those who want some basic realism to their world climate, this is great.
Several years ago I was starting an old-school AD&D 1e Greyhawk campaign and I pre-did 3-months of weather. I cannot tell you how accurate it was, but I liked having that information at hand. While many deem such stuff as "minutia" I think the weather is rather important and can have a huge effect on all types of gaming situations.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 11:27:30 AM »
Several years ago I was starting an old-school AD&D 1e Greyhawk campaign and I pre-did 3-months of weather. I cannot tell you how accurate it was, but I liked having that information at hand. While many deem such stuff as "minutia" I think the weather is rather important and can have a huge effect on all types of gaming situations.
I agree, RandalThor. I actually haven't gone into daily weather for most of my games, but lately I've at least added general note. I went so far as to put a snowstorm followed by a rain event in, causing flooding in a lakeside town where the party was. They really got into the story, I was actually rather surprised.
The other thing one of my players asked for, to give a sense of place, was photos of analog real-world places. So now I have a folder of photos that show the forests, swamps, grasslands, mountains, rivers, etc. they've adventured through. It's gotten to where they ask "Do you have photos for this area?"
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 08:09:01 PM »
I agree, RandalThor. I actually haven't gone into daily weather for most of my games, but lately I've at least added general note. I went so far as to put a snowstorm followed by a rain event in, causing flooding in a lakeside town where the party was. They really got into the story, I was actually rather surprised.
I think we shouldn't be surprised. Look at the news, a huge chunk of it is the weather; it is one of the biggest things that connect all people - we all deal with weather of one type or another. I also think it is underutilized in gaming. Weather is one of the biggest things to help generate mood and tone.
The other thing one of my players asked for, to give a sense of place, was photos of analog real-world places. So now I have a folder of photos that show the forests, swamps, grasslands, mountains, rivers, etc. they've adventured through. It's gotten to where they ask "Do you have photos for this area?"
One game, I got a bunch of images to use for the Northern Jaiman / Quellbourne area. Mostly stuff from Canada and Scandinavia (and apparently the Ukraine), also some stuff with small bits of overgrown ruins. I have never had players ask, I just love to do it because I love being able to "see" as much of the game as possible, so I try to do that for my players, too.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.