Author Topic: Where will you buy your Rolemaster?  (Read 68151 times)

Offline count_zero99uk

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Where will you buy your Rolemaster?
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »
Hard copies are what keeps brick and mortar stores open.  But i know now a lot of people have tablets, so a hardcopy with access to a pdf may be the way to go, just my thoughts.

Whens the beta available btw.?

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2012, 01:03:16 PM »
I like local stores but I also like print+pdf bundles. I know some companies, like Evil Hat (with the Dresden Files rpg, as I recall) do print and pdf bundling for bricks and mortar stores, which would be pretty attractive.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »
Hard copy and PDF. There are many FLGS in Quebec City, one of the most known is Imaginaire:
http://www.imaginaire.com/indexv2.jsp?langue=en&changeLangue=true

They have both a physical and online store. They sell also many other geek-like products, like boardgames, manga, miniatures, comic books, stamps, money, etc. They even ship oversea! The staff is of good help, and it's eye candy to visit the store. It helps for visibility that they are located in a BIG shopping center (Place Laurier).

Another good store is Librairie Donjon:
http://www.boutiquedonjon.com/
It's much smaller, but they have tons of miniatures, and the rent is cheap (I was told). They organize many tournaments, so the flow of customers is steady. They are open even in the evening!

Until last year, I think, you could still find a RMC book at discount at Imaginaire. I don't know what happened to it: maybe it was bought, maybe it was given away to some charity organization (one staff told me this happened to some unsold RPG books).
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline Artahyr

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »
ZUT just saying, I'm a fellow gamer from Quebec City too, and I know l'Imaginaire (et Boutique du Dongeon underneath the Gabrielle Roy library building), but I have a good advice : check the prices of your products online on sites like Amazon.ca particularly... Great prices sometimes, often beneath the places you know.

I think if Rolemaster only goes out in online pdf, it'll be the worst error ever. Book package of core books the best! Little like the D&D 4rth edition. Thanks!

Offline chippermonks

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2012, 05:13:11 PM »
Looking at what character law and spell law have content wise.....

I feel that this could easily sell on a shelf if marketed correctly! I would of course go for a hard copy over a digital copy if able, as nothing is better then that feeling of flipping to the critical tables to check what you know will be certain death <3

But like I said, you need to get hard copies out there as that is where the money is at. Good hard copies is what makes a role playing game Iconic and draws in new players. You are shooting for a simpler system, yes? well if you don't get new people in on the action then it is a waste of time (we veteran players already memorized the old rules, a simpler system will be a piece of cake :P ) So make sure to get credit where credit is due when making a streamlined version of such a fun legacy!

Offline Lynx

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2012, 09:32:08 PM »
Definately color hardcover for me, probably at my FLGS, though I'd look into getting PDFs, too, especially with some discount (hint,hint) with the purchase of the dead-tree versions.

As stated elsewhere, a hardcover (especially w/ kickass art) will get looks at a retail store. At my FLGS I look at the covers for [the other game]'s products, even though I will never buy one. Sort of self-advertising. If the store won't order extra copies for display, guess I'll have to order an extra set for them!

Offline Jacchan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Pentaprisma
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »
If nobody will do an italian translation, I've to go for a English digital copy...   :-\
Sorry for my very bad english...

Offline HighNDry

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »
I normally buy at Amazon. So much easier and free shipping. Hopefully I will buy a Hardback and keep it on my shelf, and a pdf in my tablet to read. I really like using pdfs a lot, but just feel like if I don't buy the book I don't really have it. Plus every time someone picks up one on my bookshelf it's a fun conversation. That alone is worth having a print copy for me.

Offline Phil

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 04:20:31 AM »
Always like to support FLGS - probably Leisure Games in North London, but possibly Orcs Nest in Central London. Though these days, if I've bought the physical product I pretty much expect the PDF either free or heavily discounted.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2012, 06:53:21 AM »
Anyone know where I can purchase a Rolemaster Classic Gamemaster Screen (stock #6507)?  I can't seem to find them for sale new or used anywhere, not even the PDF version. The ones in the download vault are quite limited.  I'd rather have the real thing:

http://www.icewebring.com/ICE_Products/Product_Page.php?product_id=750%20Gamemaster%20Screen
http://www.icewebring.com/ICE_Products/Product_Page.php?product_id=753%20Gamemaster%20Screen
http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=17211

Shouldn't these be for sale at rpg.now and similar sites? At least the PDF version, surely?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »
My extended gaming group will drive a decent way to go to a true RPG store.  Right now we drive about 21 miles (one way).  We used to go further to a store in the other direction years ago.

If it is a TRUE game store focused even just halfway on table top gaming and they can get the word out people will come... but then we have 3-4 fairly major cities within around 30 miles of each other.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2013, 04:24:27 PM »
i live in AUS..
the land of exhorbarnt inport duties and price hikes for imported goods.
Distributing it through local retailers will double the price and kill sales.

work out some form of cheap shipping option and you have a whole country as a market.

so unless anything better comes along, PoD for me..
ill probably grab the pdf's as well at some stage.. would like to see a package deal or something for both
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Frewfrux

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2013, 05:40:20 PM »
I will be buying from my local gaming store if possible (I like to support local economy). If not possible, I will order a hard copy online from another distributor. If that proves too costly (due to duty on cross-border merchandise) I will order a PDF version, print it out, and then have it bound. If I'm feeling really ambitious, I might hire a local artist to have a customized cover made up as well. (I've had great experiences getting local digital artists to render many things for me like city maps, spaceships, and maybe book covers if this works.)

Offline Kevin G

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »
Probably travel to a store that has it in stock or order it from Amazon.  PDFs are fine but I definitely prefer having a hard or soft cover book in my hands.  Like someone else said above me, releasing just as a PDF would be a huge mistake. 

Hopefully it is filled with lots of beautiful artwork too  ;).  It may not seem like a big deal but the look of a product is often times a make or break thing for potential new buyers.  Sometimes you only have that brief initial impression to get someone to buy your game.  I know that Iron Crown will do right by Rolemaster and I am excited to know that a new definitive version of Rolemaster is coming out.

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2013, 10:29:57 AM »
I usually buy the PDFs and have Staples print them out. Relatively cheap and I can write on it and have it remade if necessary.
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris

Offline Nortti

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2013, 07:16:55 AM »
I only buy hardcopies. Fantasiapelit in Helsinki has RM stuff for sale and if RMU will appear on the shelves there I will probably buy it. It has to look the part though.

Offline Tommi

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2013, 07:01:41 AM »
From where ever I can. I would like to support Fantasiapelit in Helsinki as they did carry RM and SW stuff when it was generally not available from brick and mortar stores.

I'll end up buying PDF's and hard copies.
My guess is that I'll buy files from some online shop immediately and actual books when they arrive to Fantasiapelit.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2014, 05:28:17 PM »
Local store if possible. Up here they have sold ICE stuff in the past, but rarely an entire series of books. I'll probably mailorder them and buy the PDFs as well.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2014, 09:43:16 PM »
This vote really needed to split up the Online vs Physical store purchase route.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 03:18:18 PM »
Just one man's opinion, but I would love to see Rolemaster become as popular as Pathfinder. I think the production of Pathfinder is second to none and if Rolemaster would publish a Core Rules etc. to that standard I would gladly pay $60 or $70 for the book. I think the system of Rolemaster is the best. Just one man's opinion for what it is worth.