Author Topic: Cursed Scrolls. . .self inflicted U spells?  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Cursed Scrolls. . .self inflicted U spells?
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
Technically, you can't cast all those lethal U spells on other people. . .like boiling their blood or such. . .but you can cast a U spell on a willing target, so you technically could U spell willing yourself.

A lot of those really nasty cursed scrolls are like:

RR or turn all bones to jelly

or

RR or blood boils.

or

RR or heart turned to stone

And it struck me, that in some ways those are a lot like self inflicted U spell fatalities. . .in a way of looking at it, the RR is how well the scroll did in tricking you into casting a fatal U style spell on yourself, but once cast, you're just doomed to a self inflicted "Willing target" U style spell death. . .
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Cursed Scrolls. . .self inflicted U spells?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:03:46 PM »
Maybe a distinction between "willing in general" and "willing to accept a particular effect"?  Using the logic above, Evil Tim could ask Gullible Bob for permission to cast a healing spell upon him.  Gullible Bob agrees, and Evil Tim promptly melts the flesh from his skin.  Gullible Bob is now sad.

That said, the idea of cursed scrolls is a great idea.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:13:22 PM »
There's a bunch of them in the treasure books, but they don't really fit into the overall logic so much, though I guess you could just think of them as specific instances of the RR or die curses in Black Channels.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:58 PM »
Except that cursed scrolls generally are triggered and cast themselves rather than waiting until the reader actually casts the spell enruned. Nor are any of the cited effects such as one would find as Utility spells rather than Force spells in the first place.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »
Except that cursed scrolls generally are triggered and cast themselves rather than waiting until the reader actually casts the spell enruned. Nor are any of the cited effects such as one would find as Utility spells rather than Force spells in the first place.

I agree with this logic. It's as if the spell is "awaiting targeting info" which can only be provided (keyed to effect) by the reader. This a very specific case. It can't be cast on anyone else.

I guess you could reason that it's like Attunement, where you're lowering all mental defenses to alter your self/aura/being to conform to another pattern. It would be hard to resist any effect from that. Reading cursed scrolls could be similar.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 11:10:23 AM »
An additional thought is how I handle "cursed" scrolls.  They are written in such a way that they will appear to be a normal scroll, but like providence said,

the spell is "awaiting targeting info"

and once completely read, the spell casts upon the reader instead of any others.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 12:00:04 PM »
I guess, in the end "RR or die" the details beyond that don't matter much, unless for some reason you're immune to that kind of damage. "Skin flayed off? I don't have any skin!"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 01:43:08 PM »

There are a selection of spells that could allow even a U type spell to affect an unwilling target.  Certain arcane spells can alter a spells type, even to E and all that implies.

Or make it a F spell and allow an rr.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Changing Spell Type
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »
I've always felt that E thing was a bit odd. . .like does that mean that if I make Teleport E, that I have to throw it at you and hit? (i.e. a directed spell: Teleportation EAR attack?)

Or even worse, its magic you cant resist, and assuming the spell caster doesnt fumble/suffer spell failure, your in deep water wearing full plate.

Targeting skill, a BAR, what ever.  I have had an Iron Heart Scroll kill a party before.  Honestly, it was a total gas.  We laughed about it for days.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »
Especially amusing when 1000 years later, someone finds a sealed room.

"I wonder why there are 6 perfect carved iron hearts, do you think they're ritual items?"

"They do radiate a bit of residual magic."