Author Topic: Monterey/Salinas/San Jose, CA  (Read 7619 times)

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Monterey/Salinas/San Jose, CA
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 08:58:29 PM »
I'm a RM/MERP GM in the Sunnyvale area who hasn't gamed in a long time. I was thinking of getting back into it, but I'm a fair ways away from being ready. It also would probably be an online game using BRPG, and Ventrillo. I'd cover the BRPG licenses using their GM sponsored temp licenses, and ventrillo is free. Before this happens two things will need to happen for me. The first is I need to spend some time playing in a game. It's been about 15 years since I ran one, so I want a decent refresher before I try and run one again. The second is I need to get a lot farther along in the world/system design I am working on. I have the broad strokes down but I need a lot of detail, and a decent storyline.  It's possible I would run a MERP or SW campaign first just to get my hand back in, but the old merp campaign I have well documented departed from Tolkien in some pretty major ways about mid way through the Third Age. In point of fact the latter half of the third age ended up looking a lot more like the first age. You'd have to look at it as more of a campaign setting than Tolkien's Middle Earth. I was much more into the Silmarillion than the LoTR trillogy.

The long and the short of it though is it will be several months before I am ready, and it wouldn't be a table top game.

Offline caelric

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 11:00:59 PM »
Huh, ok thanks, but I am looking for a tabletop game.  For me, an online game is about as much fun as playing WoW, which is to day not fun at all.  Again, though I appreciate the offer.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 01:57:56 AM »
No worries. I'm not in a position to run a tabletop game atm or I would.

Offline caelric

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 08:45:18 PM »
If it is a matter of space, I can gladly provide the gaming space to play.  On the other hand, if it is a matter of time, I can't really help with that...

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 07:49:15 PM »
It's a bit of both to be honest. My apartment has a noise curfew, and the walls are pretty thin. I push that limit enough practicing the violin. In addition my schedule is pretty tight so it will be easier for me to try and pull off something I can run from home which leads me to the online arena. I am also kind of interested in trying out some things with the online tools. I'd like to do some things that are more open ended which would be facilitated by the network tabletop programs.

In the long run I would like to find a decent tabletop game and I really don't want to go back to TSR to get it. I read the 4th edition rules, and they read like a pen and paper MMO. MMO's aren't role playing games.

Offline caelric

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 08:20:52 PM »
Heh.  "TSR"  They went away long ago...  Regardless, I agree with you on 4th Ed, and I think that is exactly what they were aiming for, to be honest, given the popularity of MMO's.  #.5 isn't bad, certainly better than 2nd or 1st (in my opinion, that is), but none of them compare to RMSS for how I like gaming.

Either way, if you change your mind, or your schedule, let me know.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 05:46:48 PM »
Well I guess I have a hard time thinking of them as Wizard's of the Coast. I'll always think of them as TSR.

Offline caelric

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »
Bump because it's that time

Offline caelric

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 09:58:45 AM »
Bump because it has been two months since I last bumped