Author Topic: Spells using "Target" with preparation rounds and not able to "see" them  (Read 264 times)

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hi all,
Is it possible to start the preparation rounds (90% activity) before the caster can see a target?
OR
Does the caster need to see the "Target" for all rounds of prep and casting?

Example:
Aprisno sees and Orc
Rnd 1: Aprisno starts to cast (either a Force or Elemental spell) at Orc, 90% activity in prep.
Rnd 2: Aprisno still sees the Orc and continues with his class III spell prep (another 90% activity) however at the end of the round the Orc completely hides himself behind a large, oak tree.
Rnd 3: Time to cast! But no target.  So, can the Force spell be cast? I assumed the elemental spell cannot (just like for a Bowman).

Example 2
Rnd 1: Aprisno sees and orc and starts his class III 1st round of Prep. Orc completely hides himself around said tree
Rnd 2: Aprisno preps at 90% and walks 10%
Rnd 3: Aprisno walks another 25%, can now see the Orc and uses 75% to cast.  Is this possible?

Example 3
Rnd 1: Aprisno *Thinks* there will be combat, starts prep round for whatever.
Rnd 2: Still no targets, but continues 90% prep
Rnd 3: A bunch of Orcs show up, Aprisno has 75% in a cast round.  Can he now acquire a target and cast? or do the prep rounds start all over again?

Thanks for any input!!!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spells using "Target" with preparation rounds and not able to "see" them
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 12:43:48 PM »
I allow prep before seeing the target, but the target must be seen for casting. (Not considering fireball, etc.)
So my responses would be:
Example 1: No.
Example 2: Yes. I might require a quick perception roll, but since Aprisno knows the orc is around it would be fairly easy.
Example 3: Yes. If it's a bunch of orcs, no need to specifically perceive.
I also allow casters to continue prep for more rounds, if they're anticipating a target or event, but if they break prep for any reason, all previous prep is lost.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 06:15:30 PM »
RMSS is vague about whether you need to specify what you are preparing, but we always treated spell prep as generic -- you could spend time preparing and then decide at the time of casting what spell it would be (and the target if relevant). (In RMU, needing to specify the spell to be cast is an optional rule, so by default you do not need to specify.)

Even if preparation is for a specific spell, I would not require designating a target until the spell is cast. It does not make sense for example to spend three rounds preparing a fire bolt and then when the spell is ready have to start over because the target is now out of sight and you need new prep for a new target. You have a bolt ready to go, directing it is part of the spell casting action, not part of preparation.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 11:48:37 PM »
I've just always assumed the 'prep' time is carefully gathering and controlling the energy (or whatever you want to call it) and the final round is converting it into the spell you want to cast.  Which is why the less prep you have the more likely you are to lose control of the energy.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Online Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 08:58:05 AM »
If you want a visual example, I'm watching Avatar: The Last Airbender on Netflix and I think they give a good example of this: When the bender begins to summon the element, they are usually not yet targeting their foe. They only hurl the water/stone/fire after they've summoned/assembled the element.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 10:46:03 PM »
Good input all, so to add to this, there was an ability to hold a spell at 50% activity. 

So with the "Airbender" example, I could work up the energy for a spell, take 2 rounds to prepare...then hold for a target indefinitely at 50% activity and on the round of cast (75% activity) let it go at whomever I wish?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Online Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Note that in the RAW for RM2, spell prep is a 90% activity. (People sometimes don't realize that in the RAW, prep takes more activity than actual casting).

But yes, you could spend 2 rounds prepping to work up the energy for the spell, and then you can use the 'Opportunity Action' (RM2 Arms Law, p. 8, section 3.2 'Opportunity Action') to hold it indefinitely; while holding an action in this way, the only other action  you can take is movement at 25% activity. (Essentially, holding an 'Opportunity Action' is a 75% activity).

This would be different in RMU, where holding an opportunity action just takes Concentration (essentially it is just a 50% activity).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The mage needs to be strategically out of combat to do a prep.  IF in RMC/RM2 it took more time to prep than to cast the spell.