Forum > Fan Created Worlds

Questions/concerns about posting setting information

(1/4) > >>

pyrotech:
Hey all,

I've worked on a campaign guide for my Bughunters 2155 game.  It takes the old TSR Bughunters setting and pushes it about 20 years in the future of the published work.  I have considered posting it here, but have a couple concerns that have stopped me so far.

1) My campaign guide contains some exerts of both the original out of print Bughunters book and the Tintamar setting for flavor and informational purposes.  These exerts are not my work, but conveniently fill in many questions players have about the setting.  Not including them seems to leave a big hole. 

2) My setting includes a splinter religion of a reformed religion of a currently practiced religion.  And while this splinter religion is to the current religion as Satanism is to Catholisism - I'm concerned it may offend some current members of that church.  And that church is known to be litigious.

I can modify my setting document to "generic" out both the Tintamar organizations and the naughty religion fanatics - but that is a lot of work that isn't necessary for my home game and would only be useful for posting purposes.   And that is time that could be spent on desperately needed editing of the document.

I was just wondering what the rules were, and how much work I would need to do to be able to reasonably post it here.

markc:
1) As for the copyright question; since it is a TSR/WotC product you should ask them what fair use is on there product. Fair Use is generally what you can post on the web or distribute freely, IIRC. The same goes for the Tintamar info and I would contact Nicholas H.M. Caldwell as to if you info is Fair Use or not.

2) As per the religion I cannot help you there and you should contact them about your request. If you say it is only for a RPG they might be less litigious as it is for fun and fiction but then they may say no also.

I hope that helps somewhat.
MDC

NicholasHMCaldwell:

--- Quote from: pyrotech on August 22, 2011, 04:59:19 PM ---Hey all,

I've worked on a campaign guide for my Bughunters 2155 game.  It takes the old TSR Bughunters setting and pushes it about 20 years in the future of the published work.  I have considered posting it here, but have a couple concerns that have stopped me so far.

1) My campaign guide contains some exerts of both the original out of print Bughunters book and the Tintamar setting for flavor and informational purposes.  These exerts are not my work, but conveniently fill in many questions players have about the setting.  Not including them seems to leave a big hole.

--- End quote ---

It depends on how much information has been excerpted in both cases. The TSR/Wizards material would be best done by reference to the original material, i.e. organisation X is as in  Bughunters but with the following changes. Actually that would also be easiest for the Tintamar material.

--- Quote ---2) My setting includes a splinter religion of a reformed religion of a currently practiced religion.  And while this splinter religion is to the current religion as Satanism is to Catholisism - I'm concerned it may offend some current members of that church.  And that church is known to be litigious.

--- End quote ---

Change the names, change enough other details, remove any reference to the actual practiced religion.

--- Quote ---I can modify my setting document to "generic" out both the Tintamar organizations and the naughty religion fanatics - but that is a lot of work that isn't necessary for my home game and would only be useful for posting purposes.   And that is time that could be spent on desperately needed editing of the document.

I was just wondering what the rules were, and how much work I would need to do to be able to reasonably post it here.

--- End quote ---

How big is this document?

Best wishes,
Nicholas

providence13:
You could always start a blog. :)

pyrotech:
Well the document as it sits now is a 49 page pdf.  About 5 or 6 of those pages are either pictures or "wasted" space used to divide the document up a bit.  Around 30 or so pages of it are written by me, about two or three are Tintamar organizations or places, and about 8 pages are from the original Bughunters book.  I've got about two additional pages to add now detailing "Jump Flu" as hyperspace sickness is called and recent advancements to the settings FTL drives and communicators. 

I figured the safest thing to do would be to remove, alter, or rewrite the questionable content for the purposes of putting out in the real world.  But as I said that isn't really a value add for my tabletop game, and the document is still pretty rough needing spelling corrections, grammer corrections, readability corrections, layout corrections, and at least two technical details revised.  But I'm starting to feel like fixing it up again, and was wondering where it would make the most sense to spend my time.  Cleaning up the document for easier use in my gaming group, or sanitizing the document for larger distribution.

If I'm lucky and inspired I might just be able to do both before the real world decides to hijack my free time once again.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version