Author Topic: The people on the cover of Arms Companion?  (Read 803 times)

Offline FrozenNorth

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The people on the cover of Arms Companion?
« on: March 11, 2023, 09:26:16 AM »
Greetings, a question regarding the cover painting of Arms Companion and Grey Worlds (1/93): can anyone tell if the warriors depicted here are from a known Shadow World culture?

I have a vague feeling that I've seen a larger version of that great Angus McBride painting, showing some of the folks that are being attacked by the feathered warriors, but I might have just imagined it. At least I can't find such an image anywhere.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Cover_of_Grey_Worlds_magazine_Vol_1_Iss_1_Jan_1993.png

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The people on the cover of Arms Companion?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 10:59:09 AM »
See the cover of the fantasy miniatures game 'Bladestorm'.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline AshLands

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 12:15:29 PM »
Yes, Hurin is right. It shows a skirmish in the Warring Holds: Rukon vs. Cavan. The feathered warriors are from Cavan.

Offline FrozenNorth

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 03:31:24 PM »
Indeed! That's the image I had seen, probably a very long time ago. Thank you, much appreciated.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 01:12:05 AM »
Yes, Hurin is right. It shows a skirmish in the Warring Holds: Rukon vs. Cavan. The feathered warriors are from Cavan.
That cover was gorgeous and very evocative. I was subsequently very disappointed by the interior art :)

Offline AshLands

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 05:01:11 AM »
I agree, MisterK, the interior art is mainly, at least, experimental. However, cover, maps (can be downloaded from the vault section of this forum), to some part the color guidebook (I think there was a downloadable copy somewhere, too), and the miniatures (of e.g. Sercathu) are great. From my point of view they have done it properly: everything visible on the table is appealing :)