Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 2705 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What are you watching?
« on: June 18, 2014, 09:23:14 PM »
In the same theme as the "What are you reading" thread I was wondering what people are excited about watching now or in the near future?

To go first, right now a lot of shows have finished their main season and we are in the summer abbreviated season her in the USA. (in the old days known as mini-series time)
 For the regular season I enjoyed Arrow, the 100, Game of Thrones, and a few others. (BTW, I am not an amazing race, survivor type person so those have no place on my list) 
 For Anime right now I am watching about 10 shows ( I do not sleep much do to a back back so I get up watch some stuff and then head back to bed) but the best drama I have found is Sedonia no Kishi (Knights of Sedonia). The best part, is that the website I watch at they get the shows off the air ASAP and my free add blocker means I do not have to see any adds.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 01:58:13 PM »
Stargate SG-1 and Farscape. I completely missed the latter the first time around, and most of the first. Oh, and Battlestar Galactica.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 03:12:41 PM »
 I have seen both and have the first year and a half on Farscape on DVD. I have seen that they are replaying them on one of the channels quite frequently, showing a block of 4 or more episodes at a time. Which IMHO is a great way to watch them and I tend to do the same with shows that I record on the DVR. In fact I have all the 2nd season on Orphan Black that I am going to watch next week.

There are a few shows starting or re-starting this week in the USA that I hope do well but I am not holding my breath. They are Dominion, Defiance, the 4 Musketeers and I think Falling Sky's, True Blood and The Last Ship start next week.   
 For new shows I tend to try and watch the first two episodes unless I can see that they are really bad right from the start.

As for a not so strong show I watch (but getting a lot better) is it Grim. I started watching Grim as it is set here in Portland (about 15-20 min away from me here in Boring, OR sister city of Dull, Ireland) and it was a good way to get used to the city and area locations and landmarks. Again IMHO there have been some stumbles but all in all it is getting a lot better and has a better long term story focus and direction than before.

Also I have seen a station starting showing the X Files again in blocks of 6 and that has got me occasionally looking at the 4 seasons I have on DVD sitting on my shelf. I was suffering from a serious back injury at the time the show came out so I missed a lot of episodes once a friend hooked me on the show.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »
Farscape and SG-1 are being shown five times per week each, so they're going through the episodes fast. Previously, they've shown Stargate Universe, Stargate Atlantic and Enterprise.

Unfortunately, they didn't show the mini-series before Galactica.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 06:36:26 PM »
I won't bother with past stuff = Firefly! (or: FoxIsRunEntirelybyF'ingLobotomizedYokels)

Game of Thrones (Duh).
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
Marvels Agents of Shield (better if you keep up with the movies)
Hell on Wheels
NCIS's
Mentalist
Castle
Vikings
Continuum
Defiance (Not impressed yet. I'm giving it a 5 out of 10 right now.  I'll see how this season goes).
Cosmos
Wil Wheaton Project (judgement still pending on that - it's "Ok" so far).
The Daily Show and The Colbert Report off and on.
I was formerly watching Almost Human (Fox just doesn't seem to know when they have a good thing).
Then there's a few food/diy shows.  Chopped (USA) and Fixer Upper are both time wasters.

Got bored with The Walking Dead.  Same reason I stopped watching Battlestar Galactica... too consistently depressing.

I have Dominion set to record, but it looks like it's going to be a bit cheesy.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 03:44:06 AM »
I have a whole bunch of season 3 of The Walking Dead recorded. They were simply killing too many people off. Under the Dome looked like it might be headed the same way.

Most everything else I was watching has just finished: NCIS, NCIS LA (season 1, not finished, but they're showing Big Brother instead), Castle (seasons 3!), The Mentalist, Agents of SHIELD (without the films they make no sense), The Tomorrow People (not staying true to the original) and Helix, although I haven't watched all of Helix yet.

CSI has just restarted, and there's seasons 7 of The Big Bang Theory. TBBT was on before The Tomorrow People and I got addicted.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 07:27:31 AM »
  I was bummed that Almost Human and the Tomorrow People both got canceled but I could see why as IMHO their story arcs were wondering and seemed to jump here, focus here for a time and then jump to some place else. I think they knew what they wanted to do just had trouble doing it.
  I was not surprised that Revolution got the axe as a lot of people were talking about how crazy the plot line(s) were this season.

Last nights Defiant and Dominion were ok, in my book and I have not deleted them from my recording list but time will tell.

Yes I loved Marvel Agents of Shield as the writing picked up after the first few episodes and finished very strong, in my book. I hope they can keep up the good work for many seasons to come as I think it fills a niche in the market (and if the focus on where they are now and do not change they can keep that market locked up)

I am interested to see how Gothom turns out as it reminds me of the past discussions here on the boards about playing all kids in a RPG. 

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 07:30:16 AM »
Well, I didn't know The Tomorrow People was cancelled. It was a bit erratic though. At least the major plot got wrapped up. Almost Human, was that the UK version or the US one? Not that I've actually seen either, admittedly.

After Farscape, Enterprise (on its third showing in a row) and SG-1 finish, I think there's a good chance they'll show Voyager and DS9. Both shows I missed the last few series of. Basically, I stopped watching television for several years.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 08:28:57 AM »
 I stopped watching for a time but with the advent of DVR's I tend to watch more as I can go strait through the commercials and opening and ending credits. But strangely I think some of the commercials have more of an affect on me in hi-speed viewing ( the + 30s button speed) than when played at normal speed.
MDC

BTW, some really bad movies are much better in fast forward also as you do not have to listed to the dialog.

I would also like to recommend Sidonia no Kishi again as it is a strong adult drama that I really wish was a hour long in stead of only an half hour so they could really get in and tackle and expand upon some great ideas they have in the show. I have no connection to the show or to the website that I watch it on but I will not just shout out their site name here, but if you contact me I will give you the info.

Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »
GoT (although I'm not an HBO subscriber, so I'm always a season behind).
I've been enjoying the Netflix originals (Orange is the new Black, House of Cards) and also Scandal and I've just started watching Breaking Bad.

I've been on a time travel kick, so I've been slowly consuming time travel movies and shows (Continuum, the Terminator series, watched Back to the Future last weekend...) - any recommendations for that?
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »
Going retro - Miami Vice.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »
  I was bummed that Almost Human and the Tomorrow People both got canceled but I could see why as IMHO their story arcs were wondering and seemed to jump here, focus here for a time and then jump to some place else. I think they knew what they wanted to do just had trouble doing it.
I don't know, a lot of shows do that.  Most good shows have somewhat of a running theme but 2 out of 3 episodes will just be random stuff.  I can't speak for Tomorrow People, but I didn't get that at all from Almost Human.

House of Cards) and also Scandal and I've just started watching Breaking Bad.
I've been curious about House of Cards, but no Netflix here (have been considering getting it, but I want to run an internet connection to my big tv first).
I forgot about Breaking Bad.  Obviously it's over, but I've been picking up the seasons on the cheap when I can.  Only watched Season 1 so far, but have 2 and 4 waiting (Season 3 is on the way and Season 5 hasn't become cheap enough for me to buy).  I think you can get Seasons 1-4 all for $10 each on DVD at Amazon.

I've been on a time travel kick, so I've been slowly consuming time travel movies and shows (Continuum, the Terminator series, watched Back to the Future last weekend...) - any recommendations for that?
Journeyman (fairly good), Seven Days (so-so), Life on Mars (good).  All those are off the air.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 03:25:50 PM »
I am into Defiance, and Dominion at the moment. Great shows and story telling so far is pretty good.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 08:15:58 AM »
 I have been very pleasantly surprised with Continuum this season as shows that deal with "time" can tend to turn me off as they constantly break their rules of time travel/time paradox and the problems it can cause. 
 But I think Continuum has kept a very tight ship so far and what they have done plot wise has generally been done very well.

Some Continuum thoughts:
1) Sending Kira's body everywhere:
  a) When this happened I do not know why but to me it just seemed like a very bad idea and a way to mess up the time line more, as in every time line. I know smart people make mistakes and I know why it was done plot wise as per the charters motivations but I would have just thought that they would have realized the potential problems this could have.
  b) Did the body go where is was supposed to go? Or did Alex send the body to some time and place where he could retrieve it later?
2) For some reason I think that the traveler might be Kira from another time line. But that is just a feeling and I have no good reason why I think so.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 08:46:08 AM »
I am into Defiance, and Dominion at the moment. Great shows and story telling so far is pretty good.

I lost interest in Defiance last season...  Has it improved any?
Dominion - I've been trying to get through the pilot now for 4 attempts, and too many family/real life issues (like world cup games) have prevented it. :)
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 11:42:48 AM »
The Season Premier was right before Dominion and it was ok, in that I am with holding judgement until I see a few more episodes.

As for Dominion. like I said I want to like it a lot as I like the general story lines that can come out of such a show.

I still have to get through last nights True Blood, The Last Ship and the Three Musketeers (or maybe just the Musketeers) as it was a busy night for new shows/ season premiers.
MDC   
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »
Last night I got through the Musketeers (I have high hopes), the Last Ship (not sold yet), True Blood (it is the last season so I will finish it off unless it gets really bad), The Escape Artist (not sure yet but interesting first episode) and saw the 1st season synopses for Under the Dome (the 1 hour synopses was enough for me and I will not watch the second season). 
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 12:50:37 PM »
YouTube uploads of You Can't Do That on Television, some of its Spinoffs, and some of the Pete & Pete shorts.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »

I lost interest in Defiance last season...  Has it improved any?

The first episode of this season I wasn't impressed with at all.  I'll watch a couple more and if they don't improve I'll spend my TV time elsewhere.

Dominion - I've been trying to get through the pilot now for 4 attempts, and too many family/real life issues (like world cup games) have prevented it. :)

I was better than I expected.  I thought it looked like it would be really cheesy.  But I'm not hooked yet by any means.

They need to buy the rights for Firefly and spend the budget of these two shows on that... it'd probably have five times more viewers combined.
- Cory Magel

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 07:58:04 PM »
Right now?

Mondays - 24, Major Crimes, Under the Dome
Tuesday - DVR one or more of ^^
Wednesday - same
Thursday - Defiance, Dominion
Friday - Durn Continuum just ended, Whose Line is It Anyway