Author Topic: Where exactly is the Ceril VII Star System.  (Read 10995 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Where exactly is the Ceril VII Star System.
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 11:24:04 AM »
Terry, what about the vibrant atmosphere on Orhan....did you intend it to look so earth-like from Kulthea...or should it look more moon like?

Well actually the graphic above is probably closer to what it would look like most of the time, since it is covered in clouds. But that didn't look very dramatic. Orhan under the clouds is very earthlike, so if they ever broke up (which they might once in awhile, depending on the Ess?nce and such), it would look like on the Emer cover. This wouldn't be shocking for the Kultheans, since they know the Lords of Orhan live there. Andraax would have a strange mental block though and not see it as a habitable world.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 03:56:18 PM »
Hi, All,

I've just uploaded a comparison of the moon sizes, to our own moon at Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/

I've also made my first foray into the murky world of converting the existing Goode's Interrupted Holosine maps of Kulthea, into the distorted Mercator style that Celestia requires. (I've learned more about cartography and mapping projections in the last day or so, than is probably good for me!?!?  ???)
I've only done the main part of the Western Hemisphere, so far- I've still got to create the grid that will allow me to distort the Eastern Hemisphere- then I hopefully can combine the two and add the polar regions.

Then, it all needs colouring, I thought that the best way would be to grab bits from real satellite images of the Earth- to try to make it as realistic as possible.

All the Best,

Kevin.

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 04:48:05 PM »
Hi, Terry et al,

I've uploaded some shots of Kulthea, roughly textured. I think I've underestimated the size of the polar regions however. :-[

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/2696237793/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/2696960092/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/2696145095/

I'm indebted to the lovely Lahl at www.Imagine3D.org for her superb tutorials on creating seamless planar and spherical textures- without which I'd probably still be scratching my head and swearing.

All the Best,

Kevin.

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 06:12:43 PM »
... there's also a high chance that combined with the solar wind, that it would also be stripping the Kulthean atmosphere at a quite a rate. (The Earth has very little atmospheric hydrogen for a similar reason.)

Isn't solar wind stripping greatly reduced by the magnetic field?
If the solar wind of Ceril was stronger, I think the [increased] solar wind stripping could readily be countered by a stronger magnetic field (or an aessance field which includes an effect similar to this aspect of the magnetic field).

But just as Orhan would be pulling at the water (i.e. tide effects), Orhan would be pulling at the atmosphere (i.e. atmosphere loss).
But if Orhan also has an atmosphere, this could be more of a gas exchange (Kulthea also pulling from Orhan) than a stripping.

As for the mass of Orhan vs the mass of all the other moons ...

Using these numbers:
Orhan: diameter 3,500 mi
Varin:  diameter 601 mi
Charon:diameter 350 mi
Mikori: diameter 99 mi
Tlilok: diameter 40 mi

And presuming each moon has the same average density, then:

Orhan is over 150x as massive as Varin, Charon, Mikori and Tlilok combined.

So the likely 'order of effect' would be:
Orhan
Ceril
Varin
Charon
Mikori
Tlilok

DonMoody

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2008, 07:04:09 PM »
Hi, Don,

Yeah, Kulthea/Orhan would probably 'share' their magnetic fields (as well as their Essaence fields) the same as the Earth and Moon do- assuming that Orhan has a molten iron core. And, the magnetosphere does most definitely help prevent all but the most energetic of the Cosmic Rays from reaching too far into the Earths' atmosphere. Some get through, but it's only a tiny fraction of a tiny percentage of the Sun's total output.

The order of gravitational effect on Kulthea, is most likely exactly as you've listed (Tlilok can effectively be thought of as part of Orhan's effect- as it's orbiting the moon, rather than Kulthea.) Although, Varin must be fairly dense- as it's orbit is between Kulthea and Orhan's- otherwise it might well have been pulled apart by the tidal forces between them.

Just the effect of Orhan's gravity would be extremely severe- given it's relatively close distance. (I certainly wouldn't want to live on a planet with moon that dense, that close...) :o

But, as Terry has written it like that, we've just got to come up with a rationale for why it does work- as opposed to why it shouldn't. ;)

I wonder if the Kulthean's have got it wrong, and the frequently severe sea conditions aren't because Shaal is angry- it's because he's lost control. He's actually on Kulthea charged with moderating the sea's worst effects- but the various factors affecting the world can make him lose control, from time to time. Same effect- just the perceived and actual motives are the opposite way around. (It would also explain why he spends most of his time on Kulthea as opposed to on Orhan.)

All the Best,

Kevin.

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 03:33:30 AM »
Hi, Terry et al,

I've increased the size of the North and South Poles- hopefully they are large enough now?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/2697456793/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/2698276302/

I've also uploaded the Mercator Projection of Kulthea, feel free to download and play around with as you see fit. :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/2697460445/

All the Best,

Kevin.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2008, 09:18:45 AM »
Kevin these are so cool. Yes the larger pole looks better; the big ring crater is circular now, as it should be.

And I like your idea about Shaal.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Alten

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2008, 01:32:40 PM »
Great work Kevin !
Just one tiny detail: would it be possible to get "raw" images, without the names and lines, just like they would appear to the naked eye?

As you wish...

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2008, 03:15:34 PM »
Hi, Alten,

No sooner requested, than done! :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/2699564118/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/2699563700/ (Note, that because Celestia only renders objects over a certain size, at a certain distance, that Tlilok appears as a white dot on Orhan. I think this is to conserve system resources.)

I turned off Info, Planet, Star, Nebula, Galaxy, Comet names, the Celestial Grid, and turned on Clouds and Cloud Shadows- to better approximate what you'd actually see. (I think it could do with a better cloud map though- currently, it's using the default Earth Cloud map that comes with Celestia.)

(Edit.)

Added a shot from deeper space, showing the clouds on Orhan with Kulthea in the distance.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/2698793183/

All the Best,

Kevin.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:21:17 PM by kmanktelow »

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2008, 03:56:48 PM »
 I think I can speak for a lot of people and say "Thank you."

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2008, 08:33:18 PM »
Nice work Kevin!   Thanks for all the work here.   Are these the largest res files available?    You mentioned on one of the flickr images that you used Imagine, any chance you could send me the Imagine files for that?    My email is   vroomfogle at vroomfogle dot com      Again, this is cool stuff, I'd be interested, can't wait to see what else you come up with.

What format do you give Celestia the global data in to do the 3d render?

Offline Alten

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2008, 12:45:39 PM »
Can't thank you enough  :worthy:

This is really great work.
As you wish...

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2008, 06:50:57 PM »
Hi, markc, Vroomfogle, Alten, et al,

It's no big deal.

I just thought that it would be nice to be able to give Terry something, to say 'thank you' for all the hard work he's put into entertaining myself, my players and all the other GM's and players out there.

Unless I rob a bank or loot a tomb, I doubt I'll ever be able to give him a large amount of the green folding stuff to say thank you- so I thought of something else. :)

All the Best,

Kevin.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2008, 02:43:23 AM »
Those pictures are really really nice !!!
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2008, 04:00:18 PM »
Hi, All,

Just been experimenting with mapping satellite imagery of the Earth onto the Kulthean map, to try to give more realistic colours. Just a couple of test images done with a 4K (4096x2048) texture map.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/

Yeah, I know- it still needs some work! ;)

(Edit)

I've uploaded 1, 2 and 4 K Mercator Posterized copies of the map (the 8 K version exceeded my 10 MB upload limit and tight-fisted git that I am, I'm not paying so I can upload the odd 10 MB+ file.)

Please feel free to download and colour them yourselves (there's bound to be someone who's better with photoshop than I am. Bo-Bo the chimp, for one!) ;)

All the Best,

Kevin.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 05:02:40 PM by kmanktelow »

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2008, 07:38:17 AM »
Wow these new maps are spectacular! Especially the globe one. It looks so... real.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2008, 01:29:02 PM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/2699563700/

This image makes me think of a pissed off Captain with a Mass Driver Platform, raining down death for that Special Queens Birthday.

Impressive, your work single handedly put the entire Shadow World into perspective for my 13 year old.

Well done.

E
I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2008, 06:14:48 PM »
Hi, All,

Started trying to do the map again- this time, I'm cutting bits out of a 4K Earth map and positioning them as best as possible- currently over Jaiman. (I think it's going to take a while to map the whole of Kulthea....)

Am also using a 2K cloud map, rather than the default 1K map- which looks a lot more realistic.

Probably would have gotten more done tonight, if I hadn't been drilling in a wall and managed to hit an electric cable- and blown all of the lights! Whoops!!! :bang:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/2714555077/sizes/o/

All the Best,

Kevin.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2008, 03:12:55 AM »
That's pretty sweet.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2008, 04:15:49 AM »
WOW, last one was very real. Incredible!

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)