Author Topic: [semi-humourous] elite swordsmen indeed...  (Read 934 times)

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
[semi-humourous] elite swordsmen indeed...
« on: November 21, 2022, 12:31:24 PM »
In the Haalkitaine II book, section 4.0 p 92, "phoenix guard", states that "Elite troops and personal bodyguards of the Imperial
family, the guard wear (...). They are famous for their unwavering loyalty and lethal combat skills."

And then you go to section 9.2 and check their stats. The average guard is level 5 and has a +65 OB with a sword.

By way of comparison, the average constable is level 6 and has +70 OB with a club.

The average fighter in table T-5.8 in RMSS has +95 OB at level 5.

Elite swordsmen, indeed :)

Offline Tommi

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: [semi-humourous] elite swordsmen indeed...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 08:01:23 AM »
Yes- that seems to happen in more recent products. I think that I've complained of this trend some years ago.

esp messangers that are supposed to be superior and intimidating  warriors. Recent (RM2) 10 lvl messanger has with average +15 equipment OB of 100...  :o  RM2 10th lvl should be at least:  20 ranks 70 + lvl bon 30  + stats 20 (zori, 90 str) +15 equipment =135 (but actually they should have better stats and maybe additional talents etc.)

In Ironwind average messangers had OB of 145 melee & 140 missile. Jaiman book  a few messanges had  OB 135melee /160 missile. Those numbers are high enoug that they would not be paper tigers.

As I've engaged rant mode:
Also very annoying thing is that RM2 and RMSS OB's and most skills are the same although the systems are quite different - Skills should reflect that. I'd be willing to produce system generation transformation for free to not be annoyed... 

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 09:54:31 AM »
They are famous for their unwavering loyalty and mad skillz."

Maybe that would be a snark warning.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 11:43:24 PM »
While they might be called 'Elite Guards' that doesn't mean that they have been fighting for their lives every single day. Guard duty usually requires observation and bladder control......
And, the lack of 'real world' fighting to the death will slow level advancement and in turn reduce the skill advancement (vaguely remember something about half-rate advancement for 'training' as opposed to real fights? Although of course could be losing my mind, in my old age.)
So while Elite guards might look impressive and the individuals might have had to do something noteworthy to get there, they probably haven't done much since they became Elite guards.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 07:26:59 PM »
Training, training, training is what make an elite guard elite. That an access to the best equipment and instructors to make that training top notch. And in most instances, guards are still military so they would occasionally be sent out in groups, likely with other military personnel, for some field experience.

But, no matter what, if they are going to be called the "Elite" they really need to be better than your average guard...by a fair margin.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.