Forum > Spacemaster

Which Spacemaster books do I need?

(1/2) > >>

Rochndil:
Good morning!

I have a Spacemaster newbie question. I'm a long-time Rolemaster player and GM, and I'm slowly ramping up to start a Shadow World campaign. Since SW has ties to the Spacemaster world, what would be the minimum/core current books to get my hands on? Is Privateers the latest evolution, or is that something separate? I don't have any real interest in starting a Spacemaster campaign, but I do need the tech references to deal with certain SW installations.

Rochndil, who has browsed some SM books, about a century ago...

GoblynByte:

--- Quote from: Rochndil on October 19, 2007, 09:24:35 AM ---Good morning!

I have a Spacemaster newbie question. I'm a long-time Rolemaster player and GM, and I'm slowly ramping up to start a Shadow World campaign. Since SW has ties to the Spacemaster world, what would be the minimum/core current books to get my hands on? Is Privateers the latest evolution, or is that something separate? I don't have any real interest in starting a Spacemaster campaign, but I do need the tech references to deal with certain SW installations.

Rochndil, who has browsed some SM books, about a century ago...

--- End quote ---

I think to get the setting that matches up with SW you'd need to look into the old Space Master 2e books.  Those are contemporary to RM2.  As for which books you'd need I'd start with the three core books (Player's Book, GMs Book, and Tech Book).  These are available through ICE in PDF format, otherwise check out eBay or other used shops.  The setting material in these books is a bit sketchy, though.  The setting for SM2 (the one that matches up with SW) is scattered across several adventure and campaign modules.  But the core books are a good primer and should be all you need to really insert technology and other external forces to SW.

yammahoper:
If you do not want to play SM, then you do not need the old SM2 rule book or the new Privateers rule book.

You could get good use out of Tech Law and Robotics Law.  Ten Million Ways to Die will give you all the futuristic weapons you need that are also balanced out to old RM2 hits (far better than Blaster Law or Fire Arms Law, were some weapons against no armor will do more than 200 hits in one shot).

Tech Law provides the gear and such you would expect, from scanners to weapons.  Robotics Law gives you bots and android rules, plus cybernetics.  The stats are all usable in either RM system, though stat bonuses and the like will require some translation.

lynn

markc:
 If you are playing RM2 or RMC I would go the PDF of SM:2 if you are playing RMSS/FRP I would get SM:P for the basics and maybe expand to RM, TM and then BL.
 I think I replied to you other post on the SS/FRP forum about 10MWtD. Some like it some do not. I would take a look at the book if you can too see if it fits your situation.
MDC

GoblynByte:

--- Quote from: markc on October 19, 2007, 11:47:20 PM --- If you are playing RM2 or RMC I would go the PDF of SM:2 if you are playing RMSS/FRP I would get SM:P for the basics and maybe expand to RM, TM and then BL.
 I think I replied to you other post on the SS/FRP forum about 10MWtD. Some like it some do not. I would take a look at the book if you can too see if it fits your situation.
MDC

--- End quote ---

It really depends on if you're looking for rules or setting.  The setting for SM: Privateers is completely different from that of SM2.  It's the setting (and technology presented) of SM2 that has that link to SW.  So unless Privateers also has that link you wouldn't get much out of it (again, unless you're looking for rules rather than setting).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version