Forum > Spacemaster

Sensors in Star Wars

(1/3) > >>

DavidKlecker:
How do the sensors work under the Star Wars universe. I was under the impression they are far less advanced than the Star Trek sensors. That is, outside the ship it can follow a craft, but inside the ship it's aware of life-forms but couldn't tell you exactly where they are.

I only think it is this way because the Falcon could easily track Tie-Fighters, but in Empire Strikes Back the sensors didn't go off for the Nynacks or whatever those things were chewing the power cables. Granted they were not inside the ship, but I often wonder if there is a difference in the Star Wars world when it comes to scanning a machine and scanning for life.

Thanks!

markc:
I would do a search on star wars tec and see what you come up with. I seam to remember a book about star wars tech but I could be wrong. Also my star ward D20 book has not shows up since the move but I think they use the standard D20 sensor rules.

Also I think it depends on what type of ship you are talking about. The MF was a modified freight hawler and was not intended to detect life forms. As you know in general I would expect military ships to have better sensors then civilian ships, unless they are specialized. ie explorer, system mapper etc.

MDC

David Johansen:
Star Wars tech isn't exactly loaded with consistancy.  However Mynocks and Space Slugs probably just have sufficiently divergent biology that they don't show up on a normal life form scan.  Not that you scan for life forms or even check the read-outs while flying at breakneck speeds through an asteroid field and being pursued by fighters.

Dr_Sage:

--- Quote from: David Johansen on August 30, 2007, 10:17:20 PM ---Star Wars tech isn't exactly loaded with consistancy. 

--- End quote ---

I fully agree.

StarTrek writers had aways tried to keep the consistency (by using tecnical manuals) and they sucseeded to a certain degree in the TV Shows (forget consistency on the movies).  ;)

StarWars is much more a world of "medieval space-fantasy", extremely fun, but hard to RolePlay according to any laws of physys. To be honest I do not consider StarTrek "science ficcion" per se, so you can do whatever you feel its more apppropriate.
Jut just remmember: once you have chosen a path, its written in stone.  (unless you are talking about midclorians :D).

Best regards,

Andre

David Johansen:

--- Quote from: Dr_Sage on August 31, 2007, 06:30:59 PM ---
StarTrek writers had aways tried to keep the consistency (by using tecnical manuals) and they sucseeded to a certain degree in the TV Shows (forget consistency on the movies).  ;)

Andre

--- End quote ---

LOL!  Now you're just being silly!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version