Forum > Rolemaster

Magent Shadow Assassin spell question

(1/5) > >>

Jengada:
This spell masks the caster from divination and scrying spells. The duration on this says "varies," which seems to be a reference to the fact the divination or scrying could take place any time in the future, after the caster used shadow assassin.
What is unclear is, how long of a period is shadowed this way from the time of casting? Has anyone used this?

EltonJ:
Well, I guess the spell should have a duration.  "Varies" means that it probably works one time, to block out divination spells.  Why it's level 4 is because it "varies" in duration.  Although it fades after a divination attempt.  Then the caster will have to cast the spell again.

As a game master, however, you have the right to nerf the spell.  Give it a duration, like 1 hour.

damage:
One of my players does indeed use this spell, and its higher-level versions. I'm pretty sure I went with 10 minutes per level for the spell being active.

I certainly didn't go with anything like a one-time use the spell fading after a divination attempt, I read 'varies' as the effects persisting indefinitely into the future whenever divination spells are used on the murder scene. Otherwise any scryer is just going to scry the murder scene twice, and any magent is going to cast the spell as many times as possible to block the next 15 or whatever divination attempts...

Regards,

- David.

Hurin:
If it helps, the updated version of 'Shadow Assassin' in RMU Spell Law (level 4 spell on Disguise Mastery) has a duration of 1 minute/level.

Jengada:
It helps immensely! Thanks.

--- Quote from: Hurin on August 10, 2022, 08:47:01 PM ---If it helps, the updated version of 'Shadow Assassin' in RMU Spell Law (level 4 spell on Disguise Mastery) has a duration of 1 minute/level.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version