Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster - initiative  (Read 1526 times)

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA for Rolemaster - initiative
« on: August 22, 2020, 01:18:10 PM »
Is there any way to add different alternative initiative options to ERA? I am particularly interested in the RMSS version, but I guess it could be for both. There are options out there ranging from 2d10+Qu rank order, to action points, to second by second, and I think having the option to use one of these or mix say the RMU init with RMSS.
I use the RMSS version of ERA for my combats, but have never liked the phased plus %action init system it uses. I would much prefer either a second by second like CEATS or a straight roll order like old D&D.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA for Rolemaster - initiative
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 02:38:09 PM »
We do straight roll order I simply pick 100% movement for all participants. It's RMC though. I don't K ow how that would work using the RMSS side of things.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 03:26:59 PM »
RMU's simple round will look a lot like simple roll order, and also uses 2d10+Qu bonus as default..So I imagine if you just wait for the RMU version of the ERA, you will get something pretty close to what you want.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 01:01:03 PM »
Yeah, the point is I like the RMSS rules in general and that version of the software is the one I bought all the modules for. RMU using the initiative system I like won't help me if it is not available in the RMSS ruleset for ERA as an option.
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 01:55:59 PM »
For the time being, in RMFRP I'd recommend setting all characters to do an attack action in the normal phase, and enter the roll on the field to the right.
That will sort all characters in initiative order with no added effect anywhere.
In future versions it might be possible to configure the initiative mode, but don't expect it soon.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 09:14:35 AM »
So I have been playing around with the combat actions in the RMSS version and is there any second order effect to not using the initiative setup at all? I have been using a second by second init tracker on paper to keep track of who goes when and when the round is over and just using the direct attack or spell options on the active character when it is their turn. When the round is up I hit the next round in ERA and ignore the init and action items. It looks like this properly handles damage penalties, hits per round and stun etc. Is there anything that would be missed by working this way?(I handle parry and phase minuses offline and just use the adjusted total for the attack entry)
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 10:36:07 AM »
Yeah I see no reason why you couldn't do that. All the upkeep is done regardless of the actions. You must accept the dialog though, so that the round is marked as started, but there's no need for any character to take any action.
After all, the A in ERA is for Assistant, delegation is not mandatory  ;D

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 02:14:15 PM »
Thanks for the response. On a related note, is there a setting to keep the previous rounds parry % or other selections? It would be nice to be able to choose a standard approach - say press and attack - and 45% parry for example, and have those selections remain for succeeding rounds unless modified. My players tend to choose a particular strategy and stay with it until the situation changes, and not being required to select the same parry % every round would speed up the game.
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 07:24:05 PM »
There used to be a feature where a special text in the action declaration would be used to pre-configure your attack and parry percentages.
It seems to have been lost during some other change in the attack dialog.
I'll make a note to reintroduce something like that in the future.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 10:54:15 PM »
The version released today includes a new customization option to keep parry declarations.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 04:40:55 PM »
Awesome! Thanks!
                                                   Emily Dickenson