Forum > Cyradon

tell me more about Cyradon

<< < (6/6)

Hybban:
I've already downloaded them :)
I've also bought the cyradon gazetteer yesterday for the secrets revealed in it.

And as I'm probably mad, I've purchased the 2 3-pdf packages of rolemaster (last version I think)
But I only give the money for HARP supplement!!!!

;D

Hyb'

bunny:
I know this was asked over a year ago, nonetheless, if you're still curious here's my two cents.

I have been running a campaign in the Cyradon setting for around a year. The focus of the campaign has been on exploration and learning their way in the new world. They begun as lowly aides to a variety of factions and are gradually moving their way up the various hierarchies of guilds/churches/army/etcetera

In my opinion it is the best game world I have found in 27 years of RPGing. It meshes extremely well with the rules with lots of training packages, clerical/deity information and well thought out and tied together background information. There are places for raw beginners to explore and easy ways to keep the story interesting without destroying the overarching "big picture" mysteries and plotlines. There is enough similar to "standard" roleplaying settings to make it easy to visualise/interact and yet there are a lot of differences too - I am particularly taken with the politically scheming elven nations, not something I have traditionally associated with elven culture.

The main disadvantage of the world in my view is that ICE is small and that support material is slow in being released (only one specific supplement so far, with a few tidbits in the harpers bazaars). Essentially, the core book is good enough that you dont need any supplements - there is enough there to enable you to flesh out the details according to your tastes. Nonetheless, I enjoy purchasing a new world supplement every few months to stimulate my imagination, spur interest in the world, etcetera. That stimulus is lacking in Cyradon's case - there is an excellent starting point with no further work currently available (or very little anyhow).

As I mentioned, the political intrigues of the elven nations is something I will be developing as I find the setting provides enormous scope in this regard. With other, larger companies I could wait for the Janiel supplement, and the Desnian supplement and so on before fleshing these areas out. In ICE's case - such a supplement may arrive next year, or maybe never. Obviously this isnt a terrible blow - I'll just do it my way. However, it will disappoint me if I detail that side of the continent and then in march next year find out that a "guide to the elves of cyradon" is about to be published - it will make me think I should have done something else in the interim as given past experience, I am sure any supplement ICE produces will have heaps of stuff I'm going to want to use.

A bit of a ramble. Overall I'd recommend it over any other setting I've tried - the main drawback being if (like me) you are a compulsive hoarder of all things related to your chosen setting, you are going to be starved of regular stimuli. I cant imagine anyone being disappointed in it though - even if they dont go on to use it. There are lots of interesting ideas and stealable stuff. Also, it is complete and usable "as is" the lack of supplements is not a major drawback in itself.

Andraax:

--- Quote from: Hybban on July 06, 2007, 01:48:54 PM ---This is my first post here. I've been a (french) rolemaster player for a few years and since the release of HARP i've always wanted to know more about it. I just arrived in the States and a friend show me the books, and I wanted them :)

--- End quote ---

Hi Franck!

Hybban:

--- Quote from: Andraax on September 22, 2007, 08:46:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: Hybban on July 06, 2007, 01:48:54 PM ---This is my first post here. I've been a (french) rolemaster player for a few years and since the release of HARP i've always wanted to know more about it. I just arrived in the States and a friend show me the books, and I wanted them :)

--- End quote ---

Hi Franck!

--- End quote ---

Hi Andraax :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version