Forum > General Discussion

Talents Restricted by Social Status

(1/2) > >>

markc:
 I am thinking about limiting the more powerful talents based on social status what do you think? First you need to know that I am using only custom races and not any races from the RMSS/FRP books and you have to spend Talent Points to buy your Social Status.
MDC

providence13:
For Training Pkgs, maybe. For Talents, well whatever works for you game/story.
If a player had a good background story, I'd allow a lot. Sadly, my players don't work much in this area.

markc:
 I am also thinking about allowing some crossover of talents if they roll very high for a specific talent area. ie an middle social class which is normally limited to this set of Physical Talents rolls D100 and gets above 150 (I have not decided on a threshold level yet) so now he can also pick from the higher social class for Physical Talents. They would also roll for each talent area of talents I have created and the higher the roll the better the talents they could possibly buy.

Note right now I allow players to start their PC's at higher levels and sacrifice a level to get more Talent Points, I do regulate the spending of talent points and have created all new prices and talents so as to limit their effect on the game. You could say that I run a mid to low power game but with access to powerful magic items.

Thanks
MDC

arakish:
When a friend of mine asked this same question, I replied,

"What is the reason(s) that causes higher status to mean they have higher talents?  To me, there is no genetic difference between me and Prince Charles (if within the same genetic race).  Thus, what would be the reason(s)?"

Once you figure that out, then there should be no problems why higher status would mean higher talents.

rmfr

RandalThor:

--- Quote from: providence13 on August 24, 2011, 10:31:56 PM ---For Training Pkgs, maybe. For Talents, well whatever works for you game/story.
If a player had a good background story, I'd allow a lot. Sadly, my players don't work much in this area.

--- End quote ---
I agree* with this. Unless you add that higher status people are genetically different in some way, it doesn't make sense to say that only a person of duke level or higher can have a +5 Str mod.

*Though I say that special training can fall under this purview - I can totally see how certain classes would do what they could to keep the greater training away from the "masses."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version