Forum > General Discussion

Randomly Rolled Backgrounds

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ecthelion:

--- Quote from: providence13 on August 24, 2011, 12:30:38 PM ---Generally, they hate being told what to do. :o

--- End quote ---
So do I  ;)

Grinnen Baeritt:
Ok. Going against the flow here... I don't really mind. No, in fact I actually LIKE having a random background both as a player and a referee.

But I really prefer using these random elements to get the creative juices behind the back story rather than it solidily cementing it.

I've seen to many "heroic" starts to backgrounds created by players to really believe that a stand alone player generated background can be "good" for a campaign. Too many "Lone Wolf" Orphan characters for a start.

Some people like lavishing characters with huge backgrounds, some have little interest in doing so. Making it PART of the character creation process, gives everybody a basic background which can add to future campaign development.

As a referee, I like to have some say in the background of the characters development, even of it is to legitimise that character concept in the campaign. This basically what games like Warhammer and Traveller try to achieve. (Creation of a family is a must... check out Chivalry & Sourcery or other FGU games)

This is why I'm a great fan of using Training Packages in RMSS, I make the players purchase as many as they can for the 1st two levels (I start characters at 3rd). This generates a random "backstory" when linked with the contacts and items generated. Fitting them all together breathes life into the character, adds interest, detail and provides plothooks for the future.

Life is full of random elements and you simply don't get to make all the choices.

GrumpyOldFart:
I'm okay with generating random elements, and even making your character concept from virtually nothing else if you want, that's a fun challenge. My point here

--- Quote from: GrumpyOldFart on August 24, 2011, 04:56:13 PM ---I generally try to get players to develop the background before they roll the character, rather than the other way around. Bend the chargen rules to fit the character concept instead of bending the character concept to fit the chargen rules.
--- End quote ---

was that I want to find out the who ("grew up in a family of people who hunt and supply meat to the local military") before I'll care about working out the what (1st level ranger). Determining what before you determine who to me seems backwards.

Make sense?

Grinnen Baeritt:
It does, though I find that the two (profession and the "who") are both equally as important when determining the "why and how" the character gets to "Where" they start being played as characters.

I also tend to treat the profession that has been chosen as, at least, a minor reflection of the "character" thus the "who" is generally part of that choice.

Given all that, if the player, after generating a random background, doesn't like it, I'll generally accept a certain amount of customisation anyway. The point is, that any background is better than none and the easiest option is a randomly produced one through whatever rules that you choose to use.

DangerMan:
As a GM I would allow any method of character generation, and only worry about inter party balance and the prospects of the group being able to stay together. I detest the "lone wolf characters".

As a player I follow a four way process. 1.) Get a rough idea of the character; profession, race, alignment and social background. 2.) Do all the choices of talents, TPs etc to fit the concept of 1.). 3.) Write out the character completely, with stats, items from TPs, skills etc. 4.) Write the background story. I find that having all the details in place allows for much inspiration storywise. Where did he get that +10 axe? How come he learned 5 ranks i obscure lore? etc

No random elements what so ever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version