Forum > Rolemaster

Shields, off hand, and ambidexterity

(1/4) > >>

Marc R:
First, shields are not just passive cover, you use them to block and parry actively.

OK, generally you have your weapon in your primary hand, and the shield in your off hand.

Now, the shield gives the listed DB bonus, and the weapon OB is normal.

If you swap the shield to the primary hand, and the weapon to the off hand.

The Weapon is at the -20 off hand penalty (unless your character is ambidextrous).

Does the shield work better in the primary hand?

Would an ambidextrous character, where both hands are primary . . .would that give a shield a bonus?

markc:
 IMHO no extra bonus is gained because of how a shield is used in combat.
MDC

Marc R:
The weapon is at a penalty in the off hand, why not the shield?

If you learn TWC sword-n-shield, and use the shield to bash people. . .it's at -20 as a weapon in the off hand (unless you're ambidextrous).

markc:

--- Quote from: Marc R on December 22, 2010, 09:35:59 PM ---The weapon is at a penalty in the off hand, why not the shield?

If you learn TWC sword-n-shield, and use the shield to bash people. . .it's at -20 as a weapon in the off hand (unless you're ambidextrous).

--- End quote ---

IMHO and it is just a rationalized guess on my part as I am not a shield user is that a lot of shield work is done by the body besides the arm do to the fact how the shield is held. Now I might rule it differently for a very small hand held shield like a dinner plate with a strap on the back as it is more arm motion. But to keep the rules simple I would say no.
 I would change my mind if there was a shield skill as IMHO it gives the ambidexterity talent more effect and places to be used. Right now IMHO it is not used to many places in most games.

MDC

Cory Magel:
You are not attempting complicated moves with the shield, you are merely putting it in the way of incoming attacks.  Considering the simplicity of the maneuver and the fact that it IS your main hand I can see why no penalty.  Try to attack with it and that would be a slightly different story.

Having performed the sword-fight at the top of the cliff between the Man-in-Black and the Spaniard from Princess Bride I can say that it's slightly difficult to switch from your main to your off hand at first, about two weeks of practice (give or take) will give you a decent ability with an off hand - but would not match your 'main' hands ability without nearly the same amount of practice you have in it.  A shield however would be a much easier, especially if changing from you off to your main hand.

Think of it this way... I can make a hammer swing in order to hit a wall just as easily and effectively with either hand. But now try to pound a nail into that wall with each hand.  It's a more precise, if not deliberate, action.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version