Forum > Spacemaster

Sensors in Star Wars

<< < (2/3) > >>

Cormac Doyle:
Star Wars is an example of a Space Opera, not Science Fiction per say ...

yammahoper:
Have to agree STar Wars was not about the science, but the fiction.  It works because it works, or George needed it to work that way. 

I must not be the only one to wonder howcome these powerful space faring empires never bother to create mass accelerators as weapons.  A ship or large rock at 10% light speed would obliterate a planet, ship or space station.

lynn

mocking bird:

--- Quote from: yammahoper on September 02, 2007, 08:37:07 PM ---I must not be the only one to wonder howcome these powerful space faring empires never bother to create mass accelerators as weapons.  A ship or large rock at 10% light speed would obliterate a planet, ship or space station.

lynn

--- End quote ---

George must not have seen The Last Starfighter.  But there is an excellent variatin of this in a David Brin novel involving hitting an ice cloud of expelled water at relativistic speeds.

On a more serious note this is a perfect example as to why SF games for me are quite difficult to play in.  Since the tech is pretty much made up, like sensors, the GM has to often make rulings off the cuff.  Couple that with writers not thinking too far ahead, like replicators in ST suddenly not being able to make certain things for some reason or the third disintegration shot of a zat gun on SG1 that isn't mentioned in later episodes, can make continuity in a game setting a nightmare.

But for the original question 'How do the sensors work under the Star Wars universe?'  To quote a lawyer - how do you want them to work?

arakish:
Or to quote a certain Microsoft Software Engineer:

"You want them to work how!?"

rmfr

markc:
The problem is once you figure out how they work George will come in and shut you down for copyright infringmint.

BTW, if you have HARP SF they are comming out with some sensor info also BatleTech Battlespace has some basic sensor rules that might work. But unforantly I have not found anything that deals with ships hiding in astoroid fields, mag fields ect.

MDC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version