Forum > General Discussion

Session Zero

<< < (3/3)

intothatdarkness:
I always do a session zero, sometimes with the players together and other times as one-on-one. My groups often had at least one player who'd never played an RPG before, so taking the time to help them understand how things worked was always crucial. Plus, the individual sessions let me work in some character-specific stuff if it was needed (like reviewing cultures with some players - in my setting I have players roll for origin before they generate a character - or helping work in a personal motivation for a character joining the party). Sometimes I'd even do a session zero plus one if you will...one with the entire party together before things kicked off just to help set the tone for the campaign and suss out any general party ambitions/goals.

It takes time, sure, but I always found it worthwhile. Still do.

Spectre771:

--- Quote from: intothatdarkness on June 26, 2022, 09:57:05 AM ---I always do a session zero, sometimes with the players together and other times as one-on-one. My groups often had at least one player who'd never played an RPG before, so taking the time to help them understand how things worked was always crucial. Plus, the individual sessions let me work in some character-specific stuff if it was needed (like reviewing cultures with some players - in my setting I have players roll for origin before they generate a character - or helping work in a personal motivation for a character joining the party). Sometimes I'd even do a session zero plus one if you will...one with the entire party together before things kicked off just to help set the tone for the campaign and suss out any general party ambitions/goals.

It takes time, sure, but I always found it worthwhile. Still do.

--- End quote ---

I've done this as well, especially when preparing for the weekend-long annual event.  I get together with the different players to get them rolling for the campaign when they are able to, that way they can hit the ground running and already have their reason to be in the campaign already in motion.  It saves so much time when it comes time for the meat of the event.

foilfodder:
Session 0 is a chance for both players and the Gamemaster to discuss what they want and don't want in the game, flesh out character concepts and hopefully start the game off on the right foot.

The first GM that introduced me to Rolemaster was very detail minded. He worked with each player for a backstory for each of our characters. The sessions were driven by events he threw at us, it we got to decide how to react but the GM was definately steering us. The party worked well together both character personality and with game mechanics.

My second RM group was the opposite. The GM completely changed the character I had submitted two weeks before the first session. The players were very monty-hauls/munchin, but characters were min/maxed well and while the players did a good job with the rare roleplay it was a series of dungeon crawls to build loot and XP connected by very thin threads of plot.

I think Session 0 is like ordering a sushi platter as a group, not everyone is guaranteed a favorite but you at least know what is coming.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version