Author Topic: Directed Spells Development (RMC Spell Law rule)  (Read 754 times)

Offline Saramund

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Directed Spells Development (RMC Spell Law rule)
« on: September 13, 2023, 11:37:34 AM »
Hi,
is anybody so kind to help in better understand this rule?

Developing skill in Directed Spells is treated just as developing skill in weapons.
Generally skill may be developed only for spells that are directed against a single target (e.g., Fire Bolts but not Fire Balls or Fire Storms). A character wishing to develop skill with such a spell must be able to cast it at least once per day (either intrinsically or from an item or runes).
At each level of experience, a spell caster may increase their Directed Spell skill with one elemental attack spell (that they can already cast) by one “skill rank” (their choice). This means their Directed Spell skill with any elemental attack spell is not a direct function of their level. The spell caster’s Directed Spell skill rank with each of these spells must be recorded.

I am trying to figure out why the Directed Spell Skill be listed as 2/5(or 2/6 or 2/7) if you cannot get two ranks per level. It does not make sense to have the costs set #/# if you cannot develop two ranks at a time.

Any hint?

Offline cdcooley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Directed Spells Development (RMC Spell Law rule)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 09:57:31 PM »
I don't have the actual RMC books, but I'm pretty sure you're reading from an appendix called "How to use Spell Law without Rolemaster" and if so it's a set of simplified rules for those trying to merge Spell Law into some other game system. So the way to make sense of it is to ignore everything in that appendix and read the rules in Character Law and Arms Law instead.

Offline Saramund

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 05:19:13 AM »
Hi and thank you,
the quote is coming from RMC Spell Law , page 67.
No mention of such an appendix

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 09:42:32 AM »
My guess is that, in an effort to more closely draw the relationship to normal skills, the "one "skill rank"" phrase was inserted without considering that it would cause the confusion you're now experiencing. There was never any mention in Second Edition (upon which RMC is based) of only limiting Directed Spells to one rank purchased per level, so I'd say ignore it and use the Dev Point costs as written.

Offline Saramund

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 09:40:21 AM »
that's my opinion too, but I wonder if there is an official errata.

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 10:26:14 PM »
Interesting, as this SL excerpt is similar to Directed Spells in Character Law classic.
However ChL omits the 1 skill rank per level limitation.

I think SL gets it partially wrong by saying "not a direct function of their level" as this ignores level bonuses for directed spells.

To me this looks like an optional rule that was not properly written as such in SL.
I would treat it as an optional rule by choosing to follow the ChL or SL implementation of skill ranks allowed per level.

Hi,
is anybody so kind to help in better understand this rule?

Developing skill in Directed Spells is treated just as developing skill in weapons.
Generally skill may be developed only for spells that are directed against a single target (e.g., Fire Bolts but not Fire Balls or Fire Storms). A character wishing to develop skill with such a spell must be able to cast it at least once per day (either intrinsically or from an item or runes).
At each level of experience, a spell caster may increase their Directed Spell skill with one elemental attack spell (that they can already cast) by one “skill rank” (their choice). This means their Directed Spell skill with any elemental attack spell is not a direct function of their level. The spell caster’s Directed Spell skill rank with each of these spells must be recorded.

I am trying to figure out why the Directed Spell Skill be listed as 2/5(or 2/6 or 2/7) if you cannot get two ranks per level. It does not make sense to have the costs set #/# if you cannot develop two ranks at a time.

Any hint?

e crits all round

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 10:15:23 AM »
To me this looks like an optional rule that was not properly written as such in SL.

Yes, it looks almost like a vestige of an optional rule from when RM was a set of add-on rules for other systems. But it is strange that it made its way into RMC when I'm not sure I can find anything like it in RM1 or 2 (though to be fair I haven't looked thoroughly).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline cdcooley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 08:01:35 PM »
I never gave RMC that much attention. Since I have every earlier version of the game books, I didn't really see a need to buy them get again.

It's now obvious that the editors of that product either didn't fully understand the works they were editing or at least failed in the goal of taking out the obsolete or confusing parts to make them more accessible to a modern audience (or whatever equivalent marketing jargon they used to justify it).

RMC Spell Law should have a disclaimer somewhere in the Introduction section about using Spell Law with the complete Rolemaster rules vs. using it in combination with other Systems. Here's the relevant text from the 1989 version of Spell Law.
The rules in ChL&CaL are intended to coordinate and combine all of the individual RM systems. Thus the rules in ChL&CaL should take precedence over the rules in the other individual products when the complete RM system is used.
If you can't find something like that then the RMC editing process was definitely a failure.

OK, so now for the history lesson on how we got here:

The original Spell Law rules had the idea of "Spell Expertise" in the Elemental Attack Spells section. By the 1989 edition that was replaced with a boxed section called "Directed Spell Skill" that reads:
By spending time and effort in practice and use, a caster may develop Directed Spell skill in using certain elemental spells. This is dependent upon the character development system used.

At each level of experience, a spell caster may increase his Directed Spell skill with one elemental attack spell (that he can already cast) by one "skill rank" (his choice). This means his Directed Spell skill with any elemental attack spell is not a direct function of his level. The spell caster's Directed Spell skill rank with each of these spells must be recorded.

A spell user's Directed Spell skill bonus with a specific spell is a +5 for each of the first 10 skill ranks, a +2 for each of skill ranks 11-20, +1 for every skill rank over 20.

GMs employing this rule may want to allow extra development of Directed Spell skill through practice and/or research.
In that 1989 edition those boxed sections were intended for use by people mixing Spell Law with character development rules from some other game system and were to be ignored by those using the rest of RM.

By the time we get to the RMSS version of Spell Law, all of the main rules have been moved into the "Rolemaster Standard Rules" book. What's left in Spell Law is an Appendix B titled "How to Use Spell Law without Rolemaster" and it consists of a cleaned up, slightly modified version of the old rules. It starts with the disclaimer:
This section presents a set of guidelines for using Spell Law if you do not have access to the full Rolemaster system. Certain rules have been simplified or changed to make it easier to use for those unfamiliar with Rolemaster."
Then in the Elemental Attack Spells section we find a Directed Spell Skill section that's identical to the one from the 1989 Spell Law.

So it's safe to say that RMC took the liberty of further simplifying that text about Directed Spells and the key point being missed here is that the rules listed in Spell Law are meant to be simplified placeholders overridden by the rules from Character Law, Campaign Law, and even in some cases Arms Law. Spell Law and Arms Law came first. Character and Campaign Law completes and (sometimes corrects) the rule set.

Offline cdcooley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 08:02:56 PM »
P.S. Hurin's comment made me look for all of that.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2023, 10:35:32 AM »
I think you've got it! Glad I could help.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Saramund

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2023, 09:47:43 AM »
Great drill-down and thank you all for answering.
I'll keep the rule as written in ChL.

best,