Author Topic: Metric or Imperial System for RM Revised  (Read 48110 times)

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Metric or Imperial System for RM Revised
« on: December 17, 2005, 07:09:51 AM »
After I read that the metric system will be used for HARP SF, I wonder how many people might want to have that for RM Revised, too.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
Re: Metric or Imperial System for RM Revised
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 09:25:29 AM »
I voted for the metric system, but in fact I don't care ( but there's no '' I don't care" option ).
I've been juggling with Imperial system to Metric system conversions for so long that I have most of the common ones engraved in my brain.

I think it's more a question of strategy. UK and the US ( and probably the Aussies too ) are using the Imperial system, while the rest of the world works with the Metric system.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Lazvon

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Tarn in HARP
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 09:46:23 AM »
I think the Aussies use Metric... at least according to Mad Max movie. :)
Official comments will be between Moderation and End Moderation. Otherwise comments are personal opinion.

"Knowledge comes from crafted bindings and pages... not ones and zeros." -- Rupert Giles

Offline Charles

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • AIRBORNE!!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 11:06:03 AM »
Why not use Both?
"We will either find a way, or make one."
Hannibal

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 11:25:36 AM »
I vote imperial cause I'm a dumb American and we're the county in the dark ages of measurement.  ;)

cmac has a point however, it would be easy to include both. Things could be listed as: 10 Feet (3.05 Meters).
The biggest problem (course, this is coming from the dumb American) is there's no equivilent of "Feet" in the metric. It's either centimeters or meters.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 11:30:27 AM by Cory Magel »
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 11:42:42 AM »
I voted Metric, but also would have gone with the "Don't care" or "Both" options.  I still tend to use Imperial measurements in my Fantasy Campaigns and Metric in my Sci Fi Campaigns.  Being Canadian I grew up with Imperial for the first 14 or so years of my life before Canada switched to Metric, and of course we are next door to the USA so I'm quite comfortable with both systems.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 12:56:36 PM »
Don't care

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 01:29:54 PM »
OK, crunches knuckles.......

In the UK, this is a touchy subject, as our imperial system is slowly being eroded away, and it has to some become a symbol of national pride.

My preference is to use metric for smaller measurments mm, cm and even m, but for larger ones and some more traditional things such as hight i prefer feet and inches, and miles.

Americans use just pounds for wieght, we use stones (14lb) and pounds to describe wieght, though Kg is becoming more common, (spit)

So perhaps both should be used, though I'd run with imperial with a table to convert to metric.

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 01:40:23 PM »
Not really important to me either way, though SF games do tend to be metric, it would be annoying if there were inconsistancies between RM and SM do to each one using a different measure system. Beyond that is the annoyance of needing to re-write the stats for all the spells and skills into another formet. i.e. range, area of effect, distance, etc. . . .thank god we don't have a time differential between the systems. If this is going to be a generic "Core" around which Genres are wrapped, I'd suggest picking one or the other and sticking with it all the way.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 02:51:24 PM »
I voted metric system although we have been playing with the imperial system for ages and got more or less used to it.
However, I would make it depending on the main market for the game. And maybe if you are publishing translations in French, Spanish, Italian, Suomi or German or whatever other languages there are the countries of which use the metric system, the translation could include the metric system.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 03:08:06 PM »
The translations had the relevant Imperail measurement translated to Metric. At least that is what I remember of the first French edition. That lead to some interesting moments when people argued over the metric value of 100'.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Charles

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • AIRBORNE!!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 05:39:17 PM »
Ok, my 9th post to the forums....woo hoo  ;D

How about you use the system of the location where you sell more product which would probably be the Imperial system and then offer a conversion chart in the back of the book.
Hannibal

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 05:43:41 PM »
scary avatar.

i suspect a metric/imperial conversion isn't to hard to get your hands on, no need to add it to the book neccissarily.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 05:47:43 PM »
I don't mind playing in Imperial in a fantasy setting... the archaic nature of the system suits a fantasy world... but for a general system... or modern setting, I'd perfer metric.
Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

Offline Charles

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • AIRBORNE!!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 05:50:18 PM »
Either one would suit me.  I use both for my profession but then not many Americans actually know that 1.6Km is roughly 1 mile
Hannibal

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2005, 07:36:28 PM »
I voted Metric, but also would have gone with the "Don't care" or "Both" options.  I still tend to use Imperial measurements in my Fantasy Campaigns and Metric in my Sci Fi Campaigns.  Being Canadian I grew up with Imperial for the first 14 or so years of my life before Canada switched to Metric, and of course we are next door to the USA so I'm quite comfortable with both systems.

I didn't vote ...

I like to use Metric for Modern Day or Sci-fi settings, and Imperial for Fantasy campaigns.

This is a flawed poll.

Cormac

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2005, 10:07:59 AM »
Metric system is fine, If I run I may very well superscede the measurement system with one or more customized to the world anyone.  One country measures weight in stones, its neghbors use halflings (thus the on-going war).
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2005, 01:28:14 PM »
This is a flawed poll.

Yes, it seems the poll is flawed, there's more people wanting Metric system than Imperial one.
The idea of having both system is nice, but it brings some problem about rounding up inches, feets, miles and so on.
It's also true that the Imperial system bring a 'medieval touch' to the whole thing.

All in all, whichever system is chosen, as I said, I don't really care, I've been juggling with the imperial system to metric system conversions for over 20 years for RPG purpose, so it don't matter (4 inches = 10 cm, 100 feet = 30 m, 1 mile = 1.5 Km , yes those are rounded numbers, but it's these numbers I use )

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • from the pits of T'is K'ali to the starclad sky..
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005, 05:46:27 AM »
metric.. more simple and easy. or if its possible both.

Italian fanzine for the d100 rpg

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 05:56:34 AM »
I think the poll is far from flawed...there is a reason metric is the system most countries use. 

Additionally if it is possilble for us metric people to convert imperial to metric so can you convert metric to imperial if you want that.
/Pa Staav