Author Topic: Bonus Development Points  (Read 471 times)

Offline Xavar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Bonus Development Points
« on: December 29, 2022, 08:50:12 PM »
I am a bit confused by Bonus DP.   A common Human gets 50 but they can only use 25 at chargen? Or can they use more than 25 if they use some in Talents?  The wording of the section is a bit obscure.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Bonus Development Points
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 08:40:59 PM »
In most versions of RM, how many DP a character has depends upon their Development Stats (Con, Ag, Re, Me, and SD). At first level they will basically get them twice; once for their adolescent development and the other for level 1. After that, you only get the total once per level, though that total will likely change as the character's stats will change.

If you are talking RMU, then I don't know as I haven't sat and read the rules yet. But, from what I have heard is that they have done away with that method of adolescent development, and have instead gone with a set of skill ranks to reflect the character's upbringing. This is sort of like how RMSS/FRP did it, though that still had the player spend DP on an adolescent "level".
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 09:47:43 PM »
On p 19 it says that you can spend up to 25 of the bonus racial development points on talents or skill advancement.  Any extra, like the human must be saved until next level or perhaps on extra stat gains.  They will get used up if you make second level at least or hold on to them.

Offline AliasAerius

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 05:46:42 PM »
It should be noted that even if you can only spend 25dp of your bonus points per level, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't spend them all in character generation. The suggested starting level for a young adult is three. A level one character could be considered as the equivalent of a student starting at Hogwarts.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 08:26:38 PM »
Exactly, it's your game do what you want and have fun.

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 08:27:58 PM »
For a human, who gets a total of 50 bonus DP, you can spend up to 25 of them at 1st level, and up to 25 at second level. If you haven't spent all of them at second level, you could in principle have some left at 3rd level too.

Originally we just said you just got them all at 1st level, but it's kind of impractical to buy 110 DP worth of skills at 1st level (the usual 60 plus the 50 racial bonus DP), and we thought it would be better to spread them out a little.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster