Author Topic: 66?  (Read 796 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
66?
« on: March 12, 2022, 04:41:43 PM »
What's the deal with the special results on a '66'? Like, I feel like it has to have been some inside joke at one point? Does anyone know?

Online Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: 66?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 11:02:17 AM »
We always thought it was related to '666', the number of the beast -- and note that Rolemaster was created during the days of the 'Satanic Panic'. So we took it as Rolemaster's cryptic raised finger to the ridiculousness of the 'Moral Majority' (yet another reason we loved Rolemaster).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 11:29:42 AM »
In the beginning, Rolemaster was played with a d1000 , and, well... :)

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 01:23:54 PM »
Originally, the 66 results were special only on the critical charts and served the function of a good crit relatively low on the chart, making the Ambush skill more effective. Later, unmodified 66 was made a special result on static maneuvers, as far as I can tell, just to have another possible result when you fling the dice.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 01:54:44 PM »
Having special (and often quite lethal) results at 66 in the critical tables makes ambush especially dangerous.

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 05:39:24 AM »
Having special (and often quite lethal) results at 66 in the critical tables makes ambush especially dangerous.

I mean...sure. Okay. But why 66? Why not 50 or 75? It's such a specific and weird choice. Unless it is some 666 nod or something?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 09:00:33 AM »
Breakage is on doubles too. But whether that's generally because doubles are memorable, or just following the precedent of 66 already being weird, I don't know.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 05:09:20 PM »
We always thought it was related to '666', the number of the beast -- and note that Rolemaster was created during the days of the 'Satanic Panic'. So we took it as Rolemaster's cryptic raised finger to the ridiculousness of the 'Moral Majority' (yet another reason we loved Rolemaster).

On a different note, I was one of the Christians at the time defending the system (along with the system who shall not be named) and fighting against the "more moral than thou" side.  I did a paper in college about the benefits of these table-top gatherings in relation to those that often struggled in mixed social situations, the inevitable understanding of percentages, mathematics and increased aptitude with spelling, and the use of imagination and creativity. It was an awesome time to be defending the very thing that evoked wonderful excitement about reading and understanding of rules "systems"!!!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."