Author Topic: Improving initiative  (Read 1251 times)

Offline capitano666

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Improving initiative
« on: April 15, 2015, 03:34:06 AM »
Hello everyone, is there any optional rule to improve a character's initiative roll in RMC? I couldn't find any on the manuals but I could have missed it.

Thanks

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Improving initiative
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »
Do you mean in addition to the stat bonus?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 02:34:21 PM »
A bonus of +X to init in exchange for a -X to OB always works well for me.  In my RMSS game, it is a +1 to init for every -5 to OB.  I demand mods to init be declared in declaration phase.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 01:01:21 PM »
A bonus of +X to init in exchange for a -X to OB always works well for me.  In my RMSS game, it is a +1 to init for every -5 to OB.  I demand mods to init be declared in declaration phase.

I like this idea. I might use +1 for every -10 though. A couple of the fighters in our group have enough OB that this would still be a trade off they would consider.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 11:55:39 AM »

Brilliant idea!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 06:48:57 AM »
You could use the General Bonus in the alchemy lists to make a +X ring of initiative.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist